1753905 Members
9892 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Also having CD-Writer Problems

Jason_242

Also having CD-Writer Problems

Hello everyone,
I am using a HP 7920, A few weeks ago I started haing problems where my system would just lock up. Could not do anything.
After some investigation I found that my system seemed to think that I was unplugging both of my CR-Rom Drives.
Here's what I've got so far, the system crashed whenever my CD-Writer Plus is hooked up. It does not do it right away, the time it takes to lock is varied. Sometimes if the CD Writer is hooked up it will not be active when I boot, but a few minutes later my system inevitable finds new hardware.
Any ideas? The part number for the CD-Writer is 5185-1735, I was wondering if it may be some sort of driver or firmware issue, but I have not been able to find any info on either and going to the HP drivers it gives me a choice of model numbers, not that there is one anywhere on my CD-Writer
Help Please

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives. -HP Forum Moderator

If ain't broke, don't fix it!
1 REPLY 1
Flora Myring

Re: Also having CD-Writer Problems

I am diagnosing an HP pavilion 7940 with the same CDRW causing the same sort of problems - the CDRW drive is manufactured by Philips and is a POS - there is no support or firmware upgrades for it anywhere that I have looked, and Philips doesn't want to acknowledge it either.

See the thread at http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=716493758+1096214457780+28353475&threadId=506533

Suggest you get a new CDRW (prices have really dropped no) - this is what I am recommending for my client.