Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1748277 Members
4077 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CD-ROM Driver HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N

MONIKA RODGERS

CD-ROM Driver HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N

My HP Pavillion Media Center dv5163cl Notebook PC CD-Rom driver is corrupt=> I need to reinstall CD-ROM Driver HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N firmware.

Please post download link. Cannot install from CD.

HP Pavillion Media Center dv5163cl Notebook PC
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N
32 REPLIES 32
Rich S
Honored Contributor

Re: CD-ROM Driver HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N

MONIKA RODGERS

Actually, to resolve this issue, I wound up calling HP tech support, instead of downloading the driver.

Tech support walked me through the process. It involved uninstalling the driver through right-clicking on "My Computer" => Properties => Hardware-Tab => Device Manger (the missing driver will have a yellow/black exclamation mark).

Then go into the registry (Start => Run... => and type regedit.

Since chaning the registry area can be dangerous (to the health of your computer!) it's always a good idea to run a registry backup first. A system backup may also be a good idea.

Now... back to the registry changes: two, or three registry keys needed to be completely removed/deleted. Thing is, I don't remember which. Let HP Tech Support answer this one for you!

Then, immediately upon reboot of the system, the computer recognizes new hardware is installed, and automatically adds the missing driver. All in all, it was rather simple, except, I couldn't have done without HP tech support. They were great!

Monika
MONIKA RODGERS

Before doing anything else, you can try this simple process: Right-click on "My Computer" => Properties => Hardware-Tab => Device Manger button: Look for CD/DVD drivers on the list.

The missing/disfunct driver will have a yellow/black exclamation mark. Right click on it and select "uninstall". Then close the Hardware Manager, and immediately reboot your system. When booting up, the system will notice the hardware is installed, and if you are lucky, will look for the missing driver automatically on the system.

If not, you will be getting an alarm that the driver cannot be found.

You have nothing to loose in doing this. The driver was already missing, or corrupt.

THAT'S when I would go to the NEXT step. Either locate the firmware download link, or call HP Tech Support (see previous post!).

Just my 2 cents worth.
Rich S
Honored Contributor

The only driver I found is the attached.

It is the same as the link above.

Try it and let us know if it is OK.

Rich

say thanks with HP POINTS
Damien Simonetti

The Regedit process is simple. I had to call tech support like Monika... Goto "run" in windows (vista/xp) then type "regedit". Once the program is loaded, look at the attachment I have provided. Open the folders shown and delete the "upperfilter" and the "lowerfilter" items in folder named
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

These items will show up in the right hand side. In the example/attachment I have provided, I have already deleted these items. This porcess will fix the driver / failure to load / failure to start problem / error with this DVD Player.

Damienflux
Rich S
Honored Contributor

Well anyway, here is your PC homepage:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=1843736&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=enтМй=en&cc=us

Your drivers:

http://tinyurl.com/3ddppt

I sure do not know what happened on that first link...or where it came from...weird.....

CD rom trouble shooting:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?rule=42596&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1843736тМй=en

Rich

say thanks with HP POINTS
Darin Ray

The regedit that Rich lists worked for me. My DVD showed up in Safe mode but had trouble in a regular boot up. Uninstalling the driver didn't help. The new driver Rich attached couldn't see the drive. Modified the registry and the drive seems happy again. Thanks.
Rich S
Honored Contributor

Glad to help...

Rich

Hi!!!, the registry edit worked for me, but now the Recovery Disc Creation Software tells me that the computer doesn't have a drive capable of creating CD's or DVD's

Thanks for the help