New Discussion

Can't read CD from Sun Solaris7

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karen Lee
Occasional Contributor

Can't read CD from Sun Solaris7

Hi all,

I have cut a CD using HP CD-Writer 8200 series.
But I am not able to read the data from Sun Solaris7
Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks & Regards
Karen Lee

P.S. This thread has beenmoved from Storage > General to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives. - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Re: Can't read CD from Sun Solaris7

Hi Karen,

So, what format did you burn the CD in ? Does the CD mount correctly ? What mount command did you use ?

If you used DirectCD to burn this CD, you might want to find out if Sun has a UDF reader for Solaris.

If ISO or Joliet,Solaris should be able to read it.

All this is assuming that the CD itself can be read on another PC just fine to exclude a write failure.

Hope this helps,

-Cal.
Karen Lee
Occasional Contributor

Hi Caliban,

Thanks for the reply but I need some clarifications.
I have used DirectCD to burn the CD.
What shall be the correct mount command to used.
What do you mean by ISO or Joliet? Can you explain.

Thanks
Karen
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hello Karen,

DirectCD writes disk in a format called UDF. UDF, ISO and Joliet are socalled filesystem format's that are used with CD's (amongst others). The fileformat is the layout and directory coding used to represent your data on a cd.

So, basically, the filesystem tells your operating system how it should go about and read data from your disks.

Under Solaris 7 and 8 you have to use the command 'mount_udfs' to mount a CD written in this format along with some parameters to tell the command where your cd-rom is and what the mount point should be.

type 'man mount_udfs' to find out what options you can use with this command

If you want to know more about this, you can find information at http://docs.sun.com and search for 'mount_udfs'

I do not know if the mount_udfs command is available in earlier versions of Solaris.

I hope this makes sense to you.

best regards,

-Cal.
Karen Lee
Occasional Contributor

Hi Caliban,

Thanks for the explaination. I managed to resolve the issue by using another software to cut the CD instead of using the Adapter DirectCD which allow me to specify the required format.

Thanks again.
Karen Lee