1752614 Members
4423 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DVD Burner and Jukebox

Daniel Malcor
Occasional Advisor

DVD Burner and Jukebox

Does anyone have an idea how close we are to burning 10+ GB onto a DVD and putting the disks into a jukebox on a machine running HP-UX?

We have a over 500 GB of mostly readonly image files and this would seem like an amazing cost savings for diaster recovery (at the very least).

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Storage > General to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives. - Hp Forum Moderator

Did you check the Logs?
3 REPLIES 3
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

You can get 4-5GB storage today using DVD RAM. Creative Labs already has a SCSI kit available. To get the 10+ GB you want and jukeboxes, I imagine you'll have to wait for the next generation.
When you consider that blank media for the above solution cost ~$30 each, you looking at a solution that would cost $2000 to $10000. Have you given any thought to a NAS solution? Your performance would be much better and I think your costs would be similar (or the NAS may cost less).
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Take a look at the products at http://www.maxattach.com/
Make a great day!

Roger
Daniel Malcor
Occasional Advisor

My purpose here is to reduce the cost of idle equipment at an offsite disaster recovery site. If the read-only parts of our data can be kept on an inexpensive and easy to maintain (create and store) media (like DVDs [which I think the spec is for 17 GB possible {don't know of any vendor who has realized it}]).

This data and its media would only be visited once a year during a disaster recovery test and then left to itself for another year (keeping a regular disk spinning or not for a year is a failure waiting to happen).

What I'm hearing here is the DVD route is far from cheap. It looks like more ideas are needed.
Did you check the Logs?