Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1748138 Members
3726 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DVDWriter 400c cannot read blank CDs or DVD

Casa_282

HP DVDWriter 400c cannot read blank CDs or DVD

If I go to My Computer/Folders, the drive, i.e. DVD/CD-R (E:) hasn't detected either. I still can open and close the drive, reboot, and it won't detect the DVD+R blank or any CDs, and I've tried various blanks.

RecordNow! and Nero and this driver have been burning to DVD+R and CD blanks for months.
I've uninstalled RecordNow! and Nero, but no go.

Device Manage shown that the HP DVDWriter 400c function properly (No error sign).

No, i haven't install any new software or hardware since i bought the system.

This burner has always burned to DVD+R blanks. Can anyone tell me what's happening and why it won't accept a DVD+R blank?

Many thanks in advance,
Casa

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > general to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives - Hp Forum Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
Jules
Esteemed Contributor

Turn off the computer.
Open the case
Unplug the data cable from the back of the CD player and plug it in again firmly.
Turn on computer
Go to My computer to see if CD is detected.
If it is not detected, replace the cable with a new IDE one.
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
Casa_282

Hi Jules,
After re-plug the cable back, the DVD drive still not able to read any CD or DVD.
I used the PC doctor to test the drive. For the "Data CD Test", even for the Seek or Surface test, it alway rejects the cd, no matter what type of the disk inserted. The message saying "Please insert a CD-Rom Disc formatted with data tracks".

I got the feeling that the drive hardware maybe failing. But interesting enough that it was working fine a month ago, and all suddenly it stops working.

Any ides would be appreciated.

Thannks,
Mike
Jules
Esteemed Contributor

You didn't say if you had tried a new IDE cable?. You should try that before you decide to replace the CD writer.
Casa_282

Hi Jules,
yes i tried with the new cable, it still cannot read a CD.
I also tried trouble shooting via HP Help Support Center, i did follow the step Reinstall HP DVD Driver and get the eror message "Unable to run the test. PNP device ID not found". Any idea what does it mean?
I think i give up and might just buying a new writer instead of wasting time on fixing it. But still curious why all suddenly it stop working....
Cheers,
Casa
Jules
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Casa
Certainly sounds like you need a replacement CD writer now. These things happen.
If the system is still under gaurantee then return it for a replacement. If not, then its not worth wasting time on, just replace the CD writer hardware.
Michael Bernosky

I have the same problem. I believe it is a problem with the window 7 driver.
Ron Silver_1
Honored Contributor

If it is windows 7 or Vista you most likely need to go into the device manager and select the DVD drive and uninstall it. In the uninstall window towards the left bottom you will need to check the delete driver button or things won't work. The problem will return after you reboot . These drives do die regularly. I have had a lot of optical drive fail just outside of warrenty