Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1748269 Members
3684 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Pavillion CD Writer not recognized by Windows 2000

Edward Schwartz

HP Pavillion CD Writer not recognized by Windows 2000

My several year old HP Pavillion factory-installed internal CD Writer just stopped being recognized. It was working perfectly for years until recently I got an error message (I don't remember what it said), and I opened the drive to check that the CD was seated correctly, which it was. I closed the tray and the light came on and started blinking. Now that's all it does, and the drive will not open, even with the pin hole / paperclip trick.

It is recognized by the BIOS, which indicates that the cables are seated okay. But Device Manager does not list it, even after scanned for new hardware. This situation is NOT COVERED in HP's support info on this topic. Windows 2000 should automatically detect all drives. If the drive just died, why would the BIOS detect it? Any ideas? Thanks for any help and suggestions.
4 REPLIES 4
Shiggity S

Re: HP Pavillion CD Writer not recognized by Windows 2000

I have a similar problem with the dvd writer "dvd400i" that came with a Pavilion a475c. Since the mobo in the Pavilion died one day without warning (shouts out to ASUS for the worthless board and HP for installing it), I have since put the writer into a new computer.

Now, I have configured multiboot so that I have a choice of booting into 32 or 64-bit Windows XP Pro. The drive IS recognized in 64-bit Windows and IS NOT recognized in 32.

I am hoping to get some helpful input from someone at HP on this to demonstrate that they know more about their own computers than half of my friends. Thanks.

Edward Schwartz

A day or two after I had the problem, it cleared up by itself! Device Manager listed it again, and it has been working fine ever since. I probably restarted my PC only once or twice more, if that (I usually leave it in Standby for days or weeks), and it's very strange that it started working again (as it was very strange that it stopped working in the first place!). Another computer mystery! Good luck. Please post when/if you find a solution.
Shiggity S

Yes, oddly, after a call to both Microsoft and AMD without luck, my DVD writer mysteriously appeared in Device Manager today. I don't know why or how or whether it will disappear again, but the busline connections seem fine and they are always recognized (so far) in 64-bit and the BIOS.

Another HP enigma.
Edward Schwartz

I wouldn't blame HP. They just make the hardware. It's Microsoft. The software is highly complex and bugs abound. Now that both of us have had the same problem, I'd like to believe that some at Microsoft know about the problem. I wonder if they have been able to track it down? But your OS is XP, mine is 2000, so maybe they haven't. In searching their website and the internet, I could not find any solutions. I'll post if I come across any.