Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1748218 Members
4260 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP cd-writer won't recognize ANY CD

Calli Sites

HP cd-writer won't recognize ANY CD

My HP cd-writer on my Pavilion 750n will not read ANY cds...data, CD-RW, music, anything...the driver says that it is a CP cd-writer cd16e, but the CD casing itself says "HP CD-writer Plus". Can someone help me??? I also have a DVD-rom drive that I have been using to run everything because my CD-ROM drive will not work
ghjg
12 REPLIES 12
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Re: HP cd-writer won't recognize ANY CD

Hello,

I think this is a hardware problem.

First thing to check, is the IDE cable connected securely to your CD-writer?

Any dirt/dust in the writer?

Have you tried to replace the CD-writer with a new one and see whether the problem persists? You eliminate the chance that it is a driver issue this way.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
JBassett

Sounds as if we have the same computer! Our cdwriter hasn't recognized a disk in months, so, like you, we've been making do with the DVD drive for playing things, but now we need to save a powerpoint presentation onto a CD and are up a creek. It's as if it just can't tell there's a CD in there at all.

Vince, if you're still around... I'm nervous about taking the cabinet apart to check for dirt/dust and the cables. Any advice/encouragement/tips about where to start? I assume that's what you mean us to do...

Thanks -- J
Jarret Ferro

Hi i have the hp pavilion 520n and i seem to be having the same problem my cd-rw wont read any blank cds at all.
John H. Pappas

I have the same issue. Does anyone have a better idea than to replace the unit. Mine quit about 10 days ago. I have researched everything on the Help and Support page without any luck. I cleaned the lens, checked the connections, downloaded software updates, e.g. drivers, etc.
I ran the diagnostic test program and was told to contact HP Tech Support, I have not done that, since I discovered this forum with persons with the same problem.
So Mr. HP what do we do now?
T Roark

I have the hp pavilion 7955 with the exact same problem. I have only used the hp cd-writer 4 times, and now it will not operate at all. There is power going to the drive, because the door will open and the green light will come on. When I put a cd into it, though, the drive will not read it ~~~~ ever. I have tried everything but swapping out the entire drive.
Brittany Allen

I have a HP cd-writer 9100 series in my Gateway and I've had the same problems for over a year with no luck thus far.

Can anyone help this problem? Or are we just wasting our time trying to fix it?
John_966

same here, with the external 8210e. worked great for a long time, then all of a sudden it dropped the program group and refused to read CD's or format. won't accept reinstallation of the program, or more clearly, the usb driver is completely up to date, and installing the software it says the drive's not there.

well, the system sure picks it up, and have tried all the troubleshooting too. cables, ports, device manager updating. nada.

not only that, after going through all that it has put unnumerable 'kinks' in the system. i finally stopped after 2 days when it seemed to be really pooping out.

would REALLY like some expert help. we're expert level here ourselves and are really frustrated.
Mike Wiseman

Mine has just failed as well... and looking in the Device Manger I see that is is not working correctly.. I have uninstalled and let WinXP reinstall it... it acted like it worked.. but nope.. still no go.
Brennan Barroett

My HP CD-Writer 9100 series has a orange light flashing I see a green lit area, but it will not light up.