Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1748169 Members
3753 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ISO filesystems on MO disks for cross platform use.

J. Scott

ISO filesystems on MO disks for cross platform use.

In HPUX, is it possible to write to WORM MO cartriges with the "dd" command? Does this also apply to CDWR drives and CD-Rs? The motivation behind this question is to create an ISO image file and transfer it to CD-Rs or WORM MOs. In turn, the media created on HPUX could be used in the MO drives and CD drives on NT/2000. I have used the "dd" command to copy and ISO image onto a RWMO and was able to mount it as a CDFS, in HPUX, without a problem. When I moved the RWMO to a NT box, NT expected to see NTFS. I didn't figure out a way to get NT to see the ISO filesystem I put on the MO disk. In principle, this seems that it would work, or am I missing something.
2 REPLIES 2
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Re: ISO filesystems on MO disks for cross platform use.

DD does not support WORM type media. to use these you will have to use an application that does.

As to the Windows 2000/NT part. I think you might want to check how your MO is set up. Windows will handle CDFS just fine if it expects it. If you drive is configured as Direct Acces device, NT might indeed expect FAT16 or NTFS partitions.

Best regards,

cal.
John Griffith_3
Valued Contributor

Re: ISO filesystems on MO disks for cross platform use.

Hi J.
Actually the DD command does work with WORM media. This is something that I've used in the past, mostly in piping TAR files back and forth. Everything behaves as expected.

As for the cross platform sharing of the data, I don't have an answer for that part yet, but I will try to look into it and get back to you.

John