1748202 Members
3042 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Imaging Software reporting error...

Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Imaging Software reporting error...

OK..I guess I will be first. I hope this is applicable to this new forum.
We have set up an Imaging System (K boxes on 10.2). On the primary K box there are two Juke boxes scsi connected.
Here's my problem.
We use FileNet software for tracking the images. The latest (in the saga..) is that FileNet is reporting drive errors ..continually...on a box and then disables the drive(s) as it fails on each one. The problem is that this error only reports in FileNet logs. It is never reported in my syslog. And more, when I go and check the log on the Juke..it is ok too. It seems FileNet is fussy, and reports as an error even on a normal retry.
I have had to replace the picker arm (because our Filenet Adm person complained that must be the problem...). But the errors continue. So now he wants all the drives replaced. Again remember no errors reporting in my syslog. When I check hardware everything appears ok....
Has anyone dealt with FileNet software and how their logs report???
Has anyone run into anything like this???
I'm open to any suggestions...

Regards,

P.S. This thread has been moved from Digital imaging - General to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives - HP Forums Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Kimathi Njeru
Advisor

Hi Rita,
Your problem is a common one with FileNET OSAR's. I have experienced the same problems more than a couple of times and each time a drive has been replaced.

My suspicion is that sometimes the platters are being written to may have a corrupt area on the surface and the FileNET software/hardware does not have enough intelligence to go around the problem without disabling the drive.

If you have your drives changed, buy the same type of platters. (i.e from the same vendor)

If the problem persists, change products (just the platters) to completely eliminate the suspicion that the media that you are writting on may be suspect.

Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Thanks Kim,
After much trouble-shooting and listening to the FileNet Admin concerns, I started investigating the complaints in great detail.
Actually I found (out of hundreds of FileNet Errors/Warning) that FileNet reports every time the hardware does a retry. And retries are not uncommon....so to say it simply...all but 5 were notifications of a retry. Of the 5 true errors..2 were dirty platters (cleaned the platter and voila...no problem). The others were a simple case of the software thinking a CD was in one slot, but it wasn't there...so it had to go find it.
I did learn one VERY IMPORTANT thing. We have Juke boxes, and I decided to see what I could 'fine tune' on the hardware. Not much. Only the speed of the robotic arm. So I set it to half speed. And guess what...No more Warnings showing up in FileNet logs. e.g. ....no more complaints of hardware problems from the FileNet Administrator.
To watch the box at work...you can't even tell I slowed down the robotic arm. They are working and flipping....and best of all....no warnings in the logs.

Peace at last !!
Kimathi Njeru
Advisor

Glad to hear that all is well with your system Rita.
I currently have a drive that is marked for replacement by the releveant engineers.
How/Where did you reconfigure the arm speed?
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

On our Jukes, it can be done right from the front control panel. Went under Admin then I found it under 'test' and then when I went down until I noticed Plunge Full Speed then 'Plunge 1/2 speed' and hit enter.
To watch the jukes doing their motions, you can't really tell it was reduced. But it apparently reduced it just enough, so that we are not getting retries. Which means the device is actually working more overall, by working just a shade slower.
Kimathi Njeru
Advisor

Thank you Rita.