1754274 Members
3214 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pavilion w/ win2k not detecting cd drives

Mark_284
Occasional Contributor

Pavilion w/ win2k not detecting cd drives

After performing a clean install of win2k on my Pavilion 8756c (Used to be ME) I have noticed that both of my CD drives on the secondary IDE channel dissapear at random times. My computer will be working fine and then all of a sudden I get a "Unsafe removal of devices" error messages for both of my drives and they dissapear entirely. Strange enough, the BIOS is able to detect both drives each boot up. I have not touched any part of the internal cables prior to the new OS.. Since then, I have also tried different IDE cables, reseated connections many times to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem? I've also tried putting the drives on the primary channel but still the same problem. Is this a compatibility issue of windows 2000 and my pavilion cd drives? FYI the drives are a samsung sc-148 and a lite-on cdrw drive (cant recall the model #)

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives. -HP Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Regarding "...I've also tried putting the drives on the primary channel but still the same problem..."

If you've moved the device and problem has followed the move then its usually the device.

When devices conflict check:

Interrupt request (IRQ)
Input/output (I/O)
Direct memory access (DMA)
Memory

This may help:

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&cc=us&prodId=hppavilion25728&lc=en&docName=bph07100

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/product.jhtml?lc=en&pagetype=hppavilion25728&cc=us

Ask the drive manufacturer.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Mark_284
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the response...if these are the same two drives that came with my pavilion and were working just fine in ME, could it still be some kind of conflict under windows 2000? It's hard to believe that there is something wrong with the device as just the other day they were working fine under the old OS. Is there any kind of additional drivers/updates I need for them to work under Win2k?
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Drivers are a link from the 2nd URL above:

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareCategory.jhtml?reg=&cc=us&pagetype=software&prodId=hppavilion25728&lc=en&docparent=30700497&sw_lang=en

I have a 6350 Pavilion and it was my experience of suffering through device problems for several months before HP finally posted a fix for it. So I would bring this to their attention, see above, and hound them about it. But they're likely to tell you to see the driver manufacturer. Its not unusual to get different reactions from different Windoze O/S's. I see this constantly. This is why people migrate off of Windoze and start using LINUX. LINUX is even preferred to Windows 2003 and this is MS's latest and greatest.

Here's an attachement that sums up Windoze.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law