Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1752790 Members
6097 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Should I burn the Discs or the Writer?

CA916728

Should I burn the Discs or the Writer?

Since I installed my HP9900 on my pavilion 9720, I have had great success burning data cds. I had bought 150 Verbatim DataLife+ 80min 700 mb, and used the last one on Friday. I bought another stack of 100 newer discs, tried to burn data and.....failed; 18 times out of 23. I bought another set of discs; same problem, but the two remaining discs of the first purchase worked just fine. I re-loaded drivers, "Record Now", Win2kServicepack3....nuttin'.

I'm desperate here. Will only certain discs work on my 9900? How do I find discs that work; is my burner obsolete or not compatible with newer disc tech? Same trouble with Nero so its not the software...or is it? Either way, its huge, because the first discs I bought are gone and I have a lot of work to do. Verbatim's response was "send back the discs that failed and we will replace them". HP says use only HP discs but they are not to be found in my town.
TIA for any input....lots of TIA for a solution.
Cheers!
Frank Kearney
fkearney@att.net

P.S.This thread has been moved from Disk, Disk Arrays (Legacy) to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives- HP Forums Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
CA835871
Honored Contributor

Re: Should I burn the Discs or the Writer?

What speed discs did you buy? If you buy 4x discs and try to burn at 16x, you will get very poor results and make a lot of coasters. If you have a 16x drive, use 16x media, if you only buy 12x media, try slowing the write speed down to 12x. Sometimes even if you buy the appropriate media, you still burn a few coasters, slowing the write speed down will help. Some companies make better discs then others.
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Should I burn the Discs or the Writer?

Frank,

If the new media you bought is *faster* than the older media, you might be experiencing a problem due to older versions of RecordNow not working well at high record speeds. I noticed a new version of RecordNow on HP's "drivers & downloads" site that's supposed to addrress this. Here's a link:

<>

As far as Nero goes, I have no idea. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but maybe your version of Nero has a similar limitation.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28