Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1753797 Members
7526 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Win XP does not recognize cd-writer 8200 series USB

RichyL

Win XP does not recognize cd-writer 8200 series USB

First of all on the back of my burner it says 8220e/8230e, so whatever that means, it's either of the two.

When I tried to install it under Windows xp, it always recognize it as unknown device (USB). So then I pointed to the directory where I downloaded the latest ddriver and all I got was "specified location does not contain information about your hardware" message.

Please help.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage > General to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives. - Hp Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
Gavin_16
Advisor

Re: Win XP does not recognize cd-writer 8200 series USB

Download the cdrw_usb.exe file to the hard drive.
Once downloaded, double-click on the cdrw_usb.exe file to launch the InstallShield Wizard.
Stepping through the wizard, accept the default location to expand the driver files to: C:\HP_USB_CD-RW_drivers.
Once the drivers have been expanded into the C:\HP_USB_CD-RW_drivers folder, connect the USB CD-Writer to the computer.
The operating system's hardware installation wizard should start.
If the installation wizard does not start, review the steps in the Trouble Installing the USB Drivers section below.
Follow the hardware installation wizard steps until asked where to install the drivers from. Specify the C:\HP_USB_CD-RW_drivers as the directory to install the drivers from.
Complete the installation wizard.

Trouble Installing the USB Drivers
If the hardware wizard does not automatically start, try the following:
Resetting the USB CD-Writer.
Shut down and turn off the computer.
Unplug the power cord from the back of the CD-Writer drive to reset the drive. Plug the power cable back into the CD-Writer.
Disconnect and re-connect the USB cable from the CD-Writer to the computer.
Remove all other USB devices, except for the keyboard and mouse if USB devices.
With the CD-Writer plugged back in, restart the computer. The new hardware should start once the computer is restarted.
Removing Previously Installed Drivers

Search for the following files and delete if found: HPUATA.INF, HPUATA.SYS, HPIOSATA.INF, HPIOSATA.PDR, EUIOSMSD.PDR, EUIOSMSD.INF, EUSBMSD.SYS.
Shut down and turn off the computer.
Restart the computer.
The new hardware wizard should start once the computer is restarted.
***The appropriate files will be restored during the USB CD-Writer driver installation.***
www.cdwritersolutions.20m.com
Janos Bartok-Nagy_1

Hi folks,

I've met the same problem. I used the 8210e on Windows 2000 without any problem. When I installed a new XP machine, I downloaded the drivers, installed them as stated in the instructions, without any effect. What I see in the device manager, after trying to install the drivers:
CD driver (IMAPI settings: 1,2) (since I use Hungarian version, this was translation only).
Despite this I tried to use the CD writer with Nero, but it did not recognized it either.

--janos
Ted Howard
Occasional Advisor

Using HP's new "Windows XP compatible" drivers won't do you any good. You might get WinXp to recognize your drive as a 82xx someday, but you'll probably never actually burn a disk with it.

Give up, it's an expensive HP paperweight now.

-Ted
Adam Riese

Cesare  Fellah

I'm having the same problem...I got an HP CD-Writer 8200e and it says "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)" Any advice would be greatly appreciated...been going on two weeks trying to fix this problem...my burner used to work with XP...I actually burned a cd in Nero a couple of weeks ago...now its not working...
Jay Goylem
Advisor

Has there been any progress on this? Win XP picks up my 8210e ID, but treats it only as a CD-R. I tried the suggestion by Gavin, but get the same result as RichyL: "specified location does not contain information about your hardware" when pointing to the HP_USB_CD-RW_drivers folder.
What can be done?