1753378 Members
4809 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

firmware update for cd-writer 9100 fails, cd-rw issue

Jeremy Mereness
Occasional Contributor

firmware update for cd-writer 9100 fails, cd-rw issue

I am trying to update the firmware on this 9100 cd-writer to maybe solve a disk-reading problem I have. But the updater fails with:

"...could not determine if the software included with your CD-Writer Plus drive was properly installed. The HP Firmware Update utility requires... software... on disc one."

I'm working with a dedicated Win98 PC, freshly installed OS, freshly installed HP software that came with the drive, and the firmware update still fails. Even when I update the software to current releases, the firmware update fails.

I'm seeking this fix in the hopes to resolve a cd-rw issue: I used the provided EZ-CD Creator to erase/blank a cd-rw disk. Following that, the 9100 fails to recognize the disk, not even as inserted in the drive. Same disk works fine in other cd, cd-r, and dvd+rw devices.

Driving me crazy. Please reply to j_meister@yahoo.com
1 REPLY 1
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Re: firmware update for cd-writer 9100 fails, cd-rw issue

You might try crossposting this question to the pavilion forum. While this looks like the obvious location for questions about the cd writers very few people here are familiar with those. Most of the questions here discuss the magneto optical family of optical drives. I haven't found a location for the CD and DVD drives. Seems like a candidate for a new section.