Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SSH and patch install

Occasional Visitor

SSH and patch install

I am a novice UNIX user so I will try to explain the best I can. I am running 11.23 and have to patch it. My question is when I am SSH and enter the command swinstall I get the followin error:
NOTE: The interactive UI was invoked, since no software was
specified.

X connection to 137.102.151.202:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

But if I telnet I can run swinstall with no issues, so this seems to be related to an SSH issue?
2 REPLIES
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor

Re: SSH and patch install

Sort of.

Your SSH connection has X forwarding enabled, but the X server at your local workstation could not draw the GUI windows to your screen, so the X connection was broken.

You should either make sure your workstation is running a working X server (e.g. a commercial ReflectionX or free Xming) before making the SSH connection, or disable SSH forwarding in your SSH client when you don't have an X server running.

As a work-around, if you have accidentally connected with X forwarding enabled, simply run "unset DISPLAY" to tell the system your current session doesn't have X GUI capability after all. When you do this, tools like swinstall and sam will automatically fall back to text-based menu interface.

MK
MK
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Re: SSH and patch install

thx Matti. That is a work around, what is strange was that is worked yesterday on another system that I applied a patch to and I was using the same SSH client.