Do you mean 

swinstall fails due to remote file

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Highlighted
Advisor

swinstall fails due to remote file

Hi Admins

I received a C8000 HP-UX 11.11 with a FireGL X3 graphics card. I then installed Unigraphics NX3 and the neccessary patches as suggested on http://support.ugs.com/online_library/certification/index.php?interface=patches&id=08354.

It then complained during the installation of ld patch PHSS_30966 with an error along the lines of 'could not access remote file' referencing ' /usr/share/man/man1.Z/ar.1'

The ld patch showed up with swlist. swverify reported an error. I ftp'd the file from a working machine and then reinstalled it, but swinstall reduced the file to Zero length.

I reinstalled the the OS and it worked. I need to know why the errors occured in the first place though?

Any ideas?

Delon
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor

Re: swinstall fails due to remote file

4 REPLIES

Hi Delon,

These errors can happen if there is a problem with hostname/ip resolution on your server.

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Advisor

Hi Robert-Jan

That would make sense. I had it booting on DHCP. Perhaps the /etc/hosts and /etc/nsswitch.conf were incorrect? It was not registered in DNS at that time as it was still being staged and tested.

No errors for the other patches were reported with swverfiy \* though. Why only ld you think?

Regards

Advisor

That makes absolute sense. Thank you so much for the assistance!

Regards
Delon