Performance Engineering Best Practices and Methodology
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Perf Monitoring Best Practices Updated

Respected Contributor

Perf Monitoring Best Practices Updated

New edition of “HP Performance Monitoring Best Practices” book is now available.

This book has been initially released with Performance Center and LoadRunner 9.5SP1 and got a positive response from the customers.

New version of the book includes two new chapters on monitoring popular virtualization environments: VMware-based and Microsoft Hyper-V-based. This area was on top of the customer’s list – more stuff to follow.

The book is available with the ALM PC v11 and LR v11 installation. Access it from the product documentation library, or from the Help menu.

Latest version of ALM PC11 includes new feature – automatic deployment of SiteScope monitors from AUT topology view that are based on this best practices book.

You may also download a copy of the updated book from HP Software Self-Service portal. Alternatively, find it attached to this post.

Please send your feedback directly to me or lt_cust_feedback@hp.com

Leo Borisov

Functional Architect, ALM
HP Software
Email: leo.borisov@hp.com

6 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Perf Monitoring Best Practices Updated

Thanks for such a nice document 

Thanks
Deb
Regular Advisor

Thanks

-Arjun

Established Member

Thanks Leo
Occasional Advisor

Regular Visitor

thanks

Occasional Visitor

This is a really nice document!

For a future release, can you add a bit more information on Oracle monitoring? I can give you more information if you need.

Oracle Enterprise Manager has some really great tools to help with Performance analysis.   The DBA's can set the snapshot interval to 15 minutes (or even less if needed) to get periodic summary data during a performance test.  OEM will generate AWR reports that have a wealth of information on the DB performance including the most frequently executed SQL, slowest SQL, most I/O consuming SQL, I/O latency histograms, and much more.

e.g. see attached images / information below

SQL ordered by Elapsed Time

• Resources reported for PL/SQL code includes the resources used by all SQL statements called by the code.
  • % Total DB Time is the Elapsed Time of the SQL statement divided into the Total Database Time multiplied by 100
  • %Total - Elapsed Time as a percentage of Total DB time
  • %CPU - CPU Time as a percentage of Elapsed Time
  • %IO - User I/O Time as a percentage of Elapsed Time
  • Captured SQL account for 99.0% of Total DB Time (s): 21,491
  • Captured PL/SQL account for 0.0% of Total DB Time (s): 21,491

Elapsed Time (s) Executions Elapsed Time per Exec (s) %Total %CPU %IO SQL Id SQL Module SQL Text 21,192.86 117 181.14 98.61 1.68 98.68 7011b28b522ks pmdtm@xxxx.com (TNS UPDATE WC_MONTHLY_OCCUPANCY_PS...