1751691 Members
4727 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Manual fail over

TerryG_1
Occasional Advisor

Manual fail over

how do you manually fail over a sql server virtual instance from its primary to a backup?
11 REPLIES 11
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

Re: Manual fail over

in the applications tab

drag and drop the checkmark from one node to the other.

Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

If you are interested HP has a course where you install polyserve and you install SQL and create and manage SQL instances with polyserve

www.hp.com/go/education

see the hf835 course.
TerryG_1
Occasional Advisor

I tried doing that to an instance running version 3.6.1 recently and it didn't work. All it did was change the primary node to the new server, similar to what rehost does.

In fact, when I went to the 'Help' tab that is exactly what the documentation said it would do.
Rodolfo E Vargas

I agree with Terry. I get the same result.
TerryG_1
Occasional Advisor

Does anyone from HP support have an answer to this?
Tammy Lawson
Advisor

I have noticed if you are not running on your Primary node and then drag the check mark to another node, all it does is change your primary/secondary. In order to get the failover you expect, it must be running on the primary node. Usually I just drag twice to get the failover to occur.

Not sure if this is your situation or not.
TerryG_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, Tammy. I'll give that a try.
TerryG_1
Occasional Advisor

Tammy, I tried doing what you indicated, but all it did was switch the order of the primary and backup nodes. The node remained active on the same server and did not fail over. Definitely something strange going on here, because I know that this has worked in the past. Thanks, anyway!
Robert J. Horkay

Right click where it is currently hosted and select "disable", this will cause it to fail over.

I report this as a bug some time back, but HP is not very responsive anymore when it comes to sql on polyscum.