5123 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PolyServe 3.6.2 and Microsoft Data Protection Manager

DTriplett
Occasional Contributor

PolyServe 3.6.2 and Microsoft Data Protection Manager

Hello,

Has anyone tried using Microsoft Data Protection Manager to back up a PolyServe 3.6.2 cluster? We're attempting to use DPM 2010 to backup a "landing area" for the SQL backups and so far, no luck. The DPM agent doesn't want to do the backup. Initially, it wouldn't see the PSFS volumes. I've tried adding NTFS impersonation for the DPM backup agent and I can now see the volumes, but it immediately fails when trying to create the initial replica. The failure message is "An unexpected error occurred during job execution. (ID 104 Details: Incorrect function (0x80070001))".

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

David Triplett
3 REPLIES 3
Dan Tyndale
Advisor

Doesnt ring a bell from the PolyServe side. Have you installed the DPM update?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911169
macosta
Trusted Contributor

I'm not aware first-hand of anyone doing this, but I do wonder if DPM uses NTFS-specific filesystem features that PSFS doesn't have.

Two issues I would worry about are the use of Extended Attributes or anything with the Volume Shadow Copy service, neither of which PSFS supports. Since you had to impersonate NTFS to even have the filesystems visible to DPM, it may be the case where NTFS is the only usable filesystem.

You might try running FILEMON to capture the failing I/O request, but this may only confirm that it doesn't work.
clownen

Hi,
Have anyone found a solution on backing up files from a PS filesystem?

I want to backup SQL databases with DPM, but the volumes where the databases are stored isn't available to DPM.

I know that DPM only is supported with NTFS, but maybe there is an unsupported way to solve the issue?