1747985 Members
4639 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

2530 switch(J9779A) jumbo configuration

mschedrin
Occasional Visitor

2530 switch(J9779A) jumbo configuration

Hi, I am trying to disable jumbo frame on the switch. In the configuration guide it's told that I should use following commands for it: "no vlan 999 jumbo". However the command seems to be not recognized by the switch:

hostname(config)# no vlan 999 jumbo
Invalid input: jumbo

hostname(config)# no vlan 999 ?
disable Enable or disable various features on the device.
forbid Prevent ports from becoming a member of the current VLAN.
ip Configure various IP parameters for the VLAN.
ipv6 Configure various IPv6 parameters for the VLAN.
protocol Set a predefined protocol for the current VLAN.
qos Set VLAN-based priority.
tagged Assign ports to current VLAN as tagged.
untagged Assign ports to current VLAN as untagged.
voice Usage: [no] voiceDescription: Labels this VLAN as a Voice VLAN, allowing you to separate, prioritize, and authenticate voice traffic moving through your network.
<cr>.

Switch itself supports jumbo frames:

hostname# sh vlan 999

Status and Counters - VLAN Information - VLAN 999

VLAN ID : 999
Name : Dummy
Voice : No
Jumbo : Yes

Firmware version: YB.15.12.0010

Please advice how to solve the issue?

3 REPLIES 3
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Re: 2530 switch(J9779A) jumbo configuration

Spoiler
Hi
Spoiler

HP 2530-24-PoE+ Switch has 24 10/100 ports and only 4 Gigabit ports.

A requirement for enabling jumbo frames is that the port is gigabit capable

From the manual:

Ports operating at a minimum of 1 Gbps can accept forward frames of up to 9220

bytes (including four bytes for a VLAN tag) when configured for jumbo traffic. You can enable

inbound jumbo frames on a per-VLAN basis. That is, on a VLAN configured for jumbo traffic, all

ports belonging to that VLAN andoperating at a minimum of 1 Gbps allow inbound jumbo frames

of up to 9220 bytes.

So since most of the ports here dont support Gigabit I am not sure whether this feature is available on this switch at all.

I checked the specification and found the following information:

Jumbo packet support
supports up to 9220-byte frame size to improve the performance of large data transfers; 8- and 24-port Fast Ethernet models automatically support up to 2000-byte frames with no configuration needed

So probably the jumbo-output in show vlan refers to this 2000 byte frames or is just a bug.

Not configuration is need, which probably means that it cannot be disabled as well.

Maybe you could check whether this command is available so you can adjust the max frame size

jumbo max-frame-size

Hope this helps.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

bibma
Occasional Advisor

Emil is spot on..

This model provides options to toggle between 2000/9220 using max-frame-size - they dont have an option to disable jumbo explicity.

mschedrin
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Emil, bibma for your replies. 

My issue is that another HP switch connected to 2530 does not support jumbo frames and whenever it recieves frame bigger than 1514 bytes it complains in logs and increases error counter. So my intention was to made MTU equal on both switches so that jumbo frames are dropped on the network edge.

Can you give me any advice on how to get rid of error counter triggering and excessive logging?