2810-48G distributed trunking

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

2810-48G distributed trunking

Hey,

I was finding mixed information about this, so I'm asking here:

I have a 2810-48G switch as backbone for our LAN party and 15 Cisco 2950 Catalyst switches as access switches for users, which are connected using a 2-link trunk/etherchannel with LACP to the backbone.

I want to buy a second 2810-48G which will be stacked with the existing one. Is it possible to connect each Cisco access switch to each of the two backbone switches, without having spanning-tree shutting one link down?

Kind regards,

aecro

1 REPLY 1
Pete W
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: 2810-48G distributed trunking

Aecro,

Q :  Is it possible to connect each Cisco access switch to each of the two backbone switches, without having spanning-tree shutting one link down?

A : No 

Distributed Trunking is a feature of the "full" ProVision chipset switches such as the 3500yl/5400zl/6600/8200zl. It is not available on the 2810

Incidentally, the 2810 switches do not "stack" in the way that most engineers would define stacking. They only offer "legacy" HP stacking which is little more than an IP conservation offering. If you want a proper stack within the "ProCurve" portfolio where you can terminate a LAG (Cisco etherchannel) on different switches, then either the 3800 (layer 3) or 2920 (layer 3-ish) switch are your best options.

Regards,

Peter