1748195 Members
3889 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2910 stacking breaking with no telnet or management vlan

dchiang
Occasional Advisor

2910 stacking breaking with no telnet or management vlan

Looking to setup syslogging on all switches on my network but I'm finding stacking to be either flawed or broken. After assigning the member switches IP's to get NTP and to be able to syslog out to the server, going around to harden the switch itself seems to break access to the member switch if either no telnet server or management vlan commands are enabled.

So I'm wondering if any of the following are possible

1. getting NTP and syslog to work on the member switches with no IP's assigned to the switch at all.

2. getting NTP and syslog to work but assign an IP and be able to have no telnet and or management vlan commands enabled. AND still have stacking working properly.

If all else fails I'm going to propose to abandon stacking and just manage the switches individually. Or as someone else has proposed to me that I just don't issue those commands on the member switch as they only have IP's on the management vlan. I'm not sure how well either of those ideas will fly thou.

3 REPLIES 3
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

These switches don't stack, all they do is allow you to create a management cluster, with a "master" that then manages the others, so the others need both an IP address and access from the "master" switch.

dchiang
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I'm aware that these switches don't create a proper stack and it's more of a management cluster. However HP calls it stacking in their manual and the command is also called stacking. It is possible to configure the member switches without an IP address to be managed by the "master" switch. Just makes it harder when things go wonky.

Regardless if I enable "no telnet server" or "management vlan X" commands on the member switch it breaks management communication from the master switch to the members on the stack/cluster.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

@dchiang wrote:

It is possible to configure the member switches without an IP address to be managed by the "master" switch. 

I never knew that. I wonder how they communicate????