5168 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

2920-48G & E3800 48G Configuration Help

RTL
Occasional Contributor

2920-48G & E3800 48G Configuration Help

Hi, 

I am looking for some advice to help me connect these devices.

FYI - This is not currently a live environment it is a new network that we are building along side an existing network. 

We have four new switches

2 x E3800 48G-4SPF+ J9576A

2 x 2920-48G J9728A

We also have

2 x  2-port Stacking Module - J9733A

2 x  2-port 10GbE SFP+ Module - J9731A

2 x 0.5m Stacking Cable = 9734A

4 x  X132 10G SFP+ LC LR Transceiver - J9151A

2 x  X242 10G SFP+ SFP+ 3m DAC Cable - J9283B

We have three physical sites, SITE A and SITE B are approximately 800 meters apart other is interstate and we have a single 2 core fibre link between these two local sites.

SITE A: 192.168.16.x/22

SITE B: 192.168.20.x/22  

SITE C: 192.168.8.x/22 - INTERSTATE SITE

I have two parts to my query.

PART 1

Can the switches be connected in the following way with what we have purchased?

2900s STACKED with two links and connected to to 3800 via SPF

Two 3800s connected via SPF to each other  (one 3800 will be at site A, the other one and the 2900s at SITE B)

This appears to be a simple physical set up to me, but I would like to confirm that it is supported and would like to be directed to manuals or documentation on how to actually configure the switches for this type of set up.

PART 2

The Second part of my query is more related to the logical configuration of the 3800s (I believe)

We have an ISP managed MPLS network between the three sites. The MPLS network routes between the three address ranges and the ISP has provided a managed router which can be used as the gateway at each site.

---The MPLS Network has no issues and works well.---

What I would like to achieve:

Site A and Site B connected by the 3800s over the fiber link running at 10Gb.

Have the two 3800 provide routing between the two local networks (SITE A & SITE B) over the private fiber link (10Gb)

If the private fiber link were to fail, send/ route traffic via the ISP managed MPLS network. Also any traffic to the remote interstate site should be routed via the local MPLS Network Gateway and the ISP will the route the traffic over their managed MPLS network.

In addition to this and the part that I am not sure about is:

Once we have the network operating as above, is it possible to have a VLAN, say 192.168.2.x/22 which SPANS the two sites, SITE A and SITE B....and routes traffic on the VLAN to all the other LANS? I think that I would need to set the 3800s as the default gateways for all devices at SITEs A & B

Reason for this is that we would like to have two VMware environments at each site and have virtual servers at each site... For ease of fail over we would like replicated virtual servers at SITE B to be on the same subnet and hence same IP address as those on SITE A.

If this is possible, it would be great of you can direct me to some configuration manuals or sample configs.

Again, I really appreciate your time in reading this post and look forward to your feedback.

RTL.

2 REPLIES 2
RTL
Occasional Contributor

Re: 2920-48G & E3800 48G Configuration Help

Thanks to every that read the post. Does anyone have any advice on either of my two queries, or can anyone direct me to a configuration manual or guide for these switches?

Thanks.

Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

Re: 2920-48G & E3800 48G Configuration Help

I think the depth of information you are looking for crosses over the line of what can be accomplished by casual help on a support forum, into the realm of where you should hire a network architect for about $3000 to do you a sound network design including detailed design and configurations.