1748057 Members
5457 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

3500yl Internetwork Speed Issues

Jtoney
Occasional Contributor

3500yl Internetwork Speed Issues

I'm seeing terrible speed issues with my Procurve 3500yl switch.  I have a few servers setup on an isolated VLAN so I can send large files between them without going through the remainder of the network.  Over the past couple of months it seems that the issue with speeds has gotten worse.  For example, if I initiate a FTP transfer from server A to send a file to server B then I will see a fast 90-100mb/s transfer rate that will then fall to as little as 4-10mb/s.  I'm using CAT6 cabling and I've changed the ports & cables mulptiple times.  This should not be an issue but I can't determine what is casuing the problem.

The company that setup this switch setup 2 vlans and then used a Dell Sonicwall to control access between the VLANs so I can route to my house lan as needed.   In this scenario, traffic never goes outside of VLAN2 (my small data network).

Please help with any suggestions you might have.

1 REPLY 1
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: 3500yl Internetwork Speed Issues

Not very likely to be the switch, unless you've been fiddling with QoS and done something to the queues, or something.

Check all the switchport & NIC status are to make sure you are getting everything successfully negotiating 1Gb.

Connect your two devices directly using a crossover cable and repeat the test to rule out the switch.