4847 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3rd Party Access Points Causing Broadcast Storms

Scutt14
Occasional Advisor

3rd Party Access Points Causing Broadcast Storms

Hello,

A few days ago we have had one of our customers (a hotel) call us with an issue regarding the wireless network. On accessing PCM traffic utilization was at 100% on all of the switches that contained AP's.

After a lot of pain we finally found the cause of the broadcast storm to be a single guest in a room who had patched in there own AP. An N-Mini Airlive, into the wired internet port in their room. This is also the same VLAN as the wireless internet uses hence it taking down all of the AP's because the VLAN was tagged up to all AP's as we are locally egressing traffic at the AP port.

As soon as we disabled the port all AP's came up and traffic reverted back to normal. I am going to suggest segmenting the Wireless internet away from the wired to protect the AP's.

However I would also like to put something in place to protect the wired network.  I am looking at connection rate filtering but this can only be deployed on the core as it is a 5406 and the edge switches are 2610's.

Has anyone come across this before and found a resolution to protect the wired LAN?

There is a 5406 at the core with  a fibre to each 2610, no stacks.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Scutt14
Occasional Advisor

Re: 3rd Party Access Points Causing Broadcast Storms

Hello,

Has anyone ever come across problems having 3rd party vendor AP's on the same VLAN as the HP AP's.

Thanks