5804 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

5406zl PS fault light

synaesthesia
Frequent Advisor

5406zl PS fault light

2 of these units roughly a mile apart.

Both of them at exactly the same time have an amber flashing alert light (POE, power supply 0). Nothing in the logs.

Disabled POE on both switches, rebooted one of them, nothing; no problems.

Any hints? Two faults at exactly the same minute and huge coincidence?

18 REPLIES 18
Helper
Valued Contributor

Re: 5406zl PS fault light

Hi,

Do you have any information about this event in ?

show log -r -a

show system power-supply

show system power-consumption

You shouldn't mix different type of power supply in the chassis, it will work but the fault led will be on.

Relevant to this situation if you are using PoE features you should configure the redundancy mode of the power supply as N+1 and not full : power-over-ethernet redundancy n+1

In the maintenance guide :

The power LED has a simple function: it is on if the Power Supply Shelf is on, and off
if the Power Supply Shelf is off.
During normal operation, the fault LED is off. If it is on, an error has occurred with
one of the EPS ports. Check the EPS port status LED to determine which one is
experiencing the problem.
The power status LED is green if the corresponding power supply is installed and
plugged in. This LED is off if no power supply is installed. If the power supply is
experiencing a problem or if it is not plugged in, the power status LED flashes
orange.
Two LEDs report the status of each EPS port:
яБо Device connected LEDтАФThis LED is on if there is a valid connection to an E5400
zl Switch. It is off if there is no connection.
яБо Power status LEDтАФThis LED is on if the power supply is providing power to a
connected E5400 zl switch. It is off if there is not a valid connection to the
E5400 zl or E8212 zl switch. If the LED is flashing orange, there is a fault
condition on the corresponding power supply.

Bye.

synaesthesia
Frequent Advisor

The systems are as they are off the shelf, no additional supplies or anything. Both did it at the exact same time. Case raised with HP 3 days ago, no reply yet...

POE disabled across the board.

DR-Core# show system power-supply
Power Supply Status:
 PS# |   State     |   AC/DC  + V    | Wattage
 ----+-------------+-----------------+---------
   1 | Perm Failed |  AC 220V        | 1500
   2 | Not Present |  -- ----        |    0

0 /  2 supply bays delivering power.

DR-Core# show system power-consumption
 Slot Power Usage:
 Slot  Module Description                        CurrentPower
 ----- ----------------------------------------- ---------------
 A     HP J9534A 24p Gig-T PoE+ v2 zl Module     22 W
 B     HP J9535A 20p GT PoE+/4P SFP v2 zl Mod    21 W

Obviously won't paste the full log (that was sent to HP anyway) due to size but find it odd that both showed failed at the same moment?

The switches are both otherwise working as intended.

synaesthesia
Frequent Advisor

If it makes any difference:

I 02/04/12 23:48:09 00071 chassis: Power Supply failure:  Supply: 1, Failures: 1
W 02/04/12 23:48:09 00576 chassis: 50V Power Supply 1 is Faulted. Failures: 1

on one switch, and the other connected ONLY by fibre, in an entirely different building circa a mile away:

I 02/04/12 23:47:04 00071 chassis: Power Supply failure:  Supply: 1, Failures: 1
W 02/04/12 23:47:03 00576 chassis: 50V Power Supply 1 is Faulted. Failures: 1

No power cuts or brownouts. Well into the night, so no human intervention. It is almost certainly software related in my eyes. Strange one?

synaesthesia
Frequent Advisor

Don't suppose there's any ideas from anyone? Tried a hard reboot today (power off, wait, on) as it was the first appropriate time.

HP so far have had a week with my case and all I've had back is a confirmation that a case has been raised. Do they all go on communal holidays or something?

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

The ProCurve switches have a lifetime warranty - why not order replacement PSUs? If each chassis has dual PSUs, you can hot-swap the faulty PSU. With the replacement unit you can do that anyway: put the new one in PS bay 2, remove the PSU in bay 1. You could try reinserting the faulty PSU and see if it still has the fault light.

synaesthesia
Frequent Advisor

Well I would, if HP got off their arses and actually looked at the case that was raised at the same time as the first post in this thread. Not amused by their response times, and I'd rather not have to get someone to call them (I can't do it myself); hate going through middle men to satisfy some silly preference for a telephone.

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

The warranty coverage is next business day, advance replacement - once confirmation of the problem/part required is amde, you will receive the replacement the next business day. If you haven't received a phone call or email by now, it definitely needs chasing.

In Asia Pacific, you can follow it up by email to procurve.apjsupport@hp.com with your log number in the subject heading.

synaesthesia
Frequent Advisor

Replacements are here... sort of.

One of the power supplies is in fact the bottom paper tray for a printer.

The other - well how do we do a hotswap with no downtime when they don't provide the mains cables?

I think HP need to do some work on their returns procedures :(

(Happy about the speed of things once they've gotten over the 2 week lead time though)

nhand42
Visitor

If only HP honoured the "next day replacement" policy. We're up to two weeks now on the same failure.

Five 5406 switches spread across campus. All ten PSU failed at the same time. They're on different power feeds, different power circuits, and the switches are connected only by fibre.

HP is refusing to replace the PSU. HP claim it must have been a power surge and wants us to pay for brand new supplies, rather than replacing them under warranty.

The symptom is that the PSU continues to supply power to the switch, but it reports itself as failed, and the PoE module reports 0W. Doesn't sound like a power surge to me. Sounds like software.

# sh system power

Power Supply Status:
 PS# |   State     |   AC/DC  + V    | Wattage
 ----+-------------+-----------------+---------
   1 | Perm Failed |  AC 220V         | 1500
   2 | Perm Failed |  AC 220V         | 1500

# sh power-over-ethernet

Internal Power
        1   0W        /Connected - Faulted.
        2   0W        /Connected - Faulted.