1748265 Members
3874 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 5406zl PS fault light

nscapj
Frequent Visitor

Hi there. My understanding from the whole story is that 10 of them went bust at the same time. Is that correct? And you are running K.14.63.  I could understand one or two going faulty but 10 at the one time? This probability of that is really very small given that everything has been fine for 1-2 years. Could it be a power surge instead that caused the problem?  I am not certain that it is software related. I have never seen PoE power not being delivered being a Software Issue after it has done so for a long time and there has been no code upgrade.  HP will definitely replace all the power supplies if they are deemed faulty but not if there has been an event such as a power surge that has caused the damage. The best thing would be for you to get 1-2 of these power supplies replaced and HP look at the faulty ones to determine root cause.

synaesthesia
Frequent Advisor

Wow, that's interesting. Perhaps you should point them directly at this thread then and they can confirm from my case it's not standalone. I'm also thinking software (May have mentioned already).

The replacement power supply that was actually a power supply is in one unit already and is working fine. The other has not alleviated itself magically as a result; I wonder if it's something along the lines of STP (although disabled on ours) or maybe more likely LLDP.

synaesthesia
Frequent Advisor

nscapj: It's surprising how many people don't seem to understand the "connected only by fibre" part.

For instance ours are on UPSs which have not reported any unusual electrical activity.

Even if there was, they're nearly a mile apart. If there was any unusual electrical activity that would fry a power supply (or part of it) then the rest of the town just might have noticed problems with their electrical appliances. If not, then there is absolutely something wrong with the PSU's in these units.

The above post states that his campus's units were also connected only by fibre, with the power distribution on different systems entirely. Nothing out of the ordinary for large sites...

For note these are the J9306a POE+ power supply units.

UKCoolHandLuke

We too have this same issue although our switches are located in the same cab (x2).  They run fine for a couple of weeks and then out of no where they just report a power supply fault and stop supplying PoE devices.  running latest firmware K.15.06.0008

About to install a VoIP setup in the next couple of weeks too so this needs to be sorted :(

W 03/11/12 00:18:57 00576 chassis: 50V Power Supply 1 is Faulted. Failures: 1

Both fail at the same time (it has happened twice now), after the first time I disabled all PoE except on 4 ports.

synaesthesia
Frequent Advisor

Spoiler

If you can, remove both PSU's and let them power down for a little while. Then replug in and see if that clears it. I'm still fairly certain there's a software bug involved.

intel_killer
Occasional Contributor

For what it's worth we have also experienced this issue on a few of our switches.  Running K.15.04.0003 when the failures happened.  Thought it was related to power issue but our UPS connected to the same circuit showed no spikes or drops on the line in voltage.  Disconnected power to the "failed" PSU for about five minutes and the error cleared.

John Gelten
Regular Advisor

For what it is worth (I can't remember the details) : we have had some power-related issues with ProCurve E2610 switches a few years ago, and they turned out to be (confirmed by HP) issues with firmware in the PoE-controller of those switches. There has been a specific software-release (available in request only) for the E2610-PoE series that actually erased this controller firmware, and put a new version in it.

I know... E2610 is a very different series from the E5400, but it is the general idea: PoE failures could definitely be caused by firmware-issues. And it is quite imaginable that 'something in your network' triggered this very exotic bug simultaneous at all switches...

IWM-KMRC

We've had this issue now on several of our 5406zl, after upgrading to FW release 15.12.0010.

I now upgraded to 15.12.0012 and will report back, if the problem still occurs.

Simon Clout
Occasional Contributor

I'd like to add a 'me too' message.

We have around 25 54xxzl's on campus and I've had this on only one switch and it's always the same one! The switch is a 5412zl and has four power supplies installed. I have already replaced two out of the four supplies on the chassis as they too have the amber light showing (and then later failed completely. I've disconnected the offending supply and then reconnected and this clears the amber light. A check a few days later sees that the amber light is back again.