1748180 Members
4041 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Can't get rid of a community string

mysticwolf33
Occasional Visitor

Can't get rid of a community string

I am having the following problem with a switch. Someone before me decided to activate snmp-server on it. They also decided to give it a blank community name. The host that they setup is no longer being used and I would like to remove it. Here is what I have right now:

snmp-server community "Public"
snmp-server host 10.xxx.xxx.xxx community ""
snmp-server contact " " location " "

I get this when I try to remove the snmp-server host 10.xxx.xxx.xxx

Swith1(config)# no snmp-server host 10.xxx.xxx.xxx community ""
Invalid input: ""

No matter what I try...I have tried typing the community name as blanks, <>, {}, [] and even typed in null. I just can't get rid of this. Anyone have any input?

Thank you.

Teresa

6 REPLIES 6
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can't get rid of a community string

One way that might work is adding a more conventional community name, then removing that one, e.g.

snmp-server host 10.xxx.xxx.xxx community public
no snmp-server host 10.xxx.xxx.xxx community public

But my guess is that this won't work.

As a last resort you could pull the config off the switch with SFTP, then edit it, and put it back on. On some models this forcibly reboots the switch, so make sure you schedule downtime beforehand.
Regards,
Paul
mysticwolf33
Occasional Visitor

Thanks...yes...I had tried that already...all it did was add an additional community name which I then was able to remove. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do what you suggested but might have to...switch isn't in production yet. It was used somewhere else and has been on the shelf since the last network guy left. 

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Yeah - it's a bit weird.  I couldn't even get my switch to add a zero-length community string.  Does it perhaps contain some unprintable Unicode character or something like that?

Regards,
Paul
Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi Mystic

If it's been previously shelved I have a suggestion. First of all restore factory defaults (press Reset and Clear together, release Reset, and when Self Test starts to blink, release Clear). That should take care of it. After that get current SW version from http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/support/converter/index.aspx.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
EckerA
Respected Contributor

Hi,

have you tried:

no  snmp-server host 10.xxx.xxx.xxx community

?

i can't even create a snmp server host with

snmp-server host 10.xxx.xxx.xxx community ""

it only works:

snmp-server host 10.xxx.xxx.xxx community

with community beeing the community..!

snmp-server host 10.xxx.xxx.xxx public

would work also.

there is no field community <communityname> in the command..!

hth

alex

Davy Priem
Regular Advisor

I got the same issue. Only way to fix it is to backup the config, edit the backupfile and restore it to the switch.