1753448 Members
6211 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Copy startup-config TFTP on 2530 switch

crabtreecj
Occasional Advisor

Copy startup-config TFTP on 2530 switch

've tried for over a month to copy the startup config for 3 switches. I came into a position where the previous IT personnel neglected to keep copies of anything and I'm trying to be proactive and make backups of everything. Since I'm not a network wiz I'm trying to get the configurations off the switches in case something ever happens, where I can plug a new on in and copy over the config file. 

I have 3 HP2530 switches. I've tried copying over the config to a file server we have on site and I've also tried copying it over to the laptop using Solar winds TFTP.

I use    copy-startup-config 192.168.???.??? c:\TFTP-Root\Config

I replace the ??? with the IP for the file server or my laptop which I have TFTP running on both but every time I try to copy it over I'm getting an error "Invalid input: copy". Like I said I'm no network wizard, but I really can't see this being that hard to do. It may be because I'm not for sure the whole process. I read somewhere that you have to create a text file and change the extension to .cfg, so I have a file in C:\TFTP-Root\Config.cfg and that's where I'm trying to copy over the config.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Re: Copy startup-config TFTP on 2530 switch

The following command works for me on our 2530 switches:

copy startup-config tftp x.x.x.x 2530.cfg

The cfg file will end up in the default folder of your TFTP server.

Check also if TFTP has been disabled on the switches by using the command 'show ip ssh'

If TFTP is disabled then the output will show:

SWITCH# show ip ssh

SSH Enabled     : Yes                 Secure Copy Enabled : Yes

crabtreecj
Occasional Advisor

I don't know what the problem is with this switch. I tried your suggestions but I'm still getting Invalid input: copy and I tried the other suggestion and it said "Invalid Input: ssh".

I tried looking at information on the switch but other than normal information evertyhing seems good. The up time has been 214 days, I don't know if thats normal for a switch or not. 

TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Are you logged on in Manager mode on the switch or as an Operator? The copy command only works in the former mode. If you are logged on as a Manager then the switch prompt will look like this:

SWITCH#

And for Operator:

SWITCH>

You can enter Manager mode by using the 'enable' command.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Also pay attention on how you type (or report) the commands, it's eventually:

for copying the startup configuration to a remote Host:

HP2530# copy startup-config tftp <ip-address> <remote-filename>

for copying the running configuration to a remote Host:

HP2530# copy running-config tftp <ip-address> <remote-filename>

and not (notice the -):

copy-startup-config 192.168.???.??? c:\TFTP-Root\Config

since the copy-startup-config command doesn't exist.

For reference see the HPE ArubaOS-Switch Management and Configuration Guide for YA/YB.16.02 (also valid for previous software releases).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
crabtreecj
Occasional Advisor

Thankyou so much. I wasn't in manager mode. I could not get it to copy to the TFTP server but I was able to show the startup config. If I save the startup config in a text file and save as a .cfg will that give me the same results as exporting the to TFTP?

crabtreecj
Occasional Advisor

It's showing,
SWITCH# show ip ssh
SSH Enabled : Yes
Secure Copy Enabled : no

So it looks like I just need to enable secure copy. Hopefully this will help. I really do appreciate all the help.
CreativeOne

How should I disable SSH or enable TFTP?  Thanks.