New Discussion

Re: HP Procurve Network issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wilbhur
Visitor

HP Procurve Network issue

Hello everyone.

I have a network NEC projector i'm trying to connect to my corporate network.
So I connect this projector with an IP address 172.16.24.111/ 24 in VLAN 164 to a HP Procurve 2650 switch.
When I try to ping this projector from a computer in the same VLAN, I get a positive response.
By cons, when I try to ping the same projector from another VLAN, I get a negative response.
I do not believe in an inter-VLAN routing problem because when I connect a computer instead of the projector, I get positive responses.

Does anyone have any idea of the problem?

5 REPLIES 5
Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

Sounds like projector does not have a route (or default gateway) back to the ping source.  

Wilbhur
Visitor

I should have to be more specified.

Projectors have correct IP, mask and gateway addresses.

A diagram is worth a thousand words, you will find a file attached (schema.pdf).

As you can see in the diagram, PC1 and PC2 (in VLAN 10) can ping Projector 1 (in VLAN 164) which is plugged to a SW01 port.

However, PC1 and PC2 can not ping Projector 2 (in VLAN 164) which is plugged to a SW07 port.

If i replace Projector 2 by a computer, this one is able to reply to the ping.

All switches are HP Procurve :

SW01, Level 3 : 5406zl

SW07, Level 2 : 2650

Any ideas .........?

Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

If the 5400 can ping the projector and replacing the projector works I would say the problem lies with the projector.

You could debug further by taking a packet capture of the switch port connected to it.  If you have Wireshark on PC2 for example, you could mirror the projector port traffic to it then repeat your ping tests.  Verify the ICMP request sent out the projector port.  

To mirror/monitor on the 2650:

mirror-port <PC2 port>   

interface <projector port> monitor

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Just to be clear,

"If i replace Projector 2 by a computer, this one is able to reply to the ping."

Do you mean, with a computer that has a VLAN164 IP address?

Also, what if you swap Projector1 with Projector2?
Does the problem follow the projector, or does it stay on the SW07 switchport?

Wilbhur
Visitor
Solution

I found the solution.

After analyzing the Ethernets frames, it turns out that ARP requests did not come out of the switch core.

Looking at the ARP cache, the projector's IP address did not match the good MAC address .

It simply clean the cache in order to reach the projector.

Many thanks