Aruba & ProVision-based
1753587 Members
7191 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Procurve switch backup configuration difference between USB and console exported running-config ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

HP Procurve switch backup configuration difference between USB and console exported running-config ?

Hi,

Can anyone please let me know what are the differences between the HP switch config backup using Export to USB command  and the copy-paste of the Putty console ?

Switch_1# copy running-config usb SwitchBKP1
Switch_2# copy running-config usb SwitchBKP2

and

Switch_1# show running-config

is there any different to backup the uplink stacked (chained) switch using any of the methods above ?

Best regards,
5 REPLIES 5
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Re: HP Procurve switch backup configuration difference between USB and console exported running-conf

in a stacked configuration mode switch, do I need to backup the config to USB for each of the switch or can I just do it once as per the show running-command in Putty ?

Best regards,
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP Procurve switch backup configuration difference between USB and console exported running-conf

If it's a real stack (eg, 2920, 3800) than your stack has a single config.

If it's just a management cluster, I don't know as I've never used it - I would suspect the worst.

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Yes it is chain stacked.

Thanks for the clarification.

Best regards,
EricAtHP
Esteemed Contributor

I am not aware of any differences between a "show run" and  copy config but I honestly haven't tried to copy the config off using show run and then load it back onto a switch.

One thing to keep in mind, by default passwords are not stored in the config file. So if you copy the config off, factory reset the switch and copy it back on, you won't have any of the passwords. You can use the "include-credentials" command to store the passwords int he config file in a hashed way.

Server-Support
Super Advisor

yes, that's right.

Thanks Eric !

Best regards,