New Discussion

Re: HP Procurve voice vlan with trunks

SOLVED
Go to solution
alexcarter404
Occasional Contributor

HP Procurve voice vlan with trunks

Hi All,

I am a cisco trained guy so i am trying to transfer my knowledge over to HP Procurve switches but need a little help with getting vlans etc set up.

What i have is 4 switches, 3 at the access layer and 1 at the core/distribution.

I want the access layer switches to use a trunk of 2 interfaces to the core/distribution layer to increase uplink speed to 2 gigabits instead of 1. What i would also like is 2 VLAN's set up to seperate voice and data. I want all ports to be able to support either a PC or a VOIP phone. I can set the phones to automatically tag the vlan tag for the voice vlan but i want all traffic to be transferred up the trunked link to the core/distribution layer.

So from what i gather i need to:

configure a trunk interface on access layer switches and core/distibution using: trunk b1-b2 trk1 lacp

add vlans for voice and data and set the voice vlan to voice.

The problem i have is tagged/untagged settings.

do i tag the voice vlan to trk1 and set the qos priority to 6 and then just set the data vlan as untagged on trk1?

the config i have written so far is:

trunk b1-b2 trk1 lacp
show trunks
spanning-tree
spanning-tree force version rstp-operation
vlan 100 name voice
voice
tagged trk1
qos priority 6
vlan 200 name data
untagged trk1

is this correct or am i missing something here?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi alexcarter404,

The way you have it looks fine - tagged voice VLAN & untagged data VLAN matches how your access layer ports are going to be set up.

If you have added the "voice" command on your voice VLAN, you don't need "qos priority 6"  - the "voice" command sets that automatically.

Also, if all your switches are HP, consider turning on GVRP - it's like a non-broken version of VTP which will handle all the inter-switch VLAN tagging for you.

Regards,
Paul
alexcarter404
Occasional Contributor

Cheers for the reply paul.

Is it just a case of adding the gvrp command to the config on the source switch and then adding gvrp to each of the client switches? As below:

(source switch)

trunk b1-b2 trk1 lacp
show trunks
spanning-tree
spanning-tree force version rstp-operation
vlan 100 name voice
voice
tagged trk1
vlan 200 name data
untagged trk1

exit

gvrp

and then just (client)

trunk b1-b2 trk1 lacp

gvrp

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend making sure your untagged VLAN matches on both ends.  Other than that, GVRP handles all the tagging as soon as you add another tagged or untagged port to the VLAN.  Make sure you read the caveats in the manual, but it all pretty much just works.

Regards,
Paul