108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Issues deploying ProCurve 2920 in a basic office setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
uid99
Occasional Collector

Issues deploying ProCurve 2920 in a basic office setup

I am working on a new network infrastructure for an office.  It's been awhile since I did this kind of networking as I'm typically more web operations focused.  I'm familiar with most of the concepts (I was a CCNA at one time) but I'm definitely rusty -- and the way MikroTik and HP use the terminology isn't helping me any.  I'm hoping someone here can look over what I've put together and tell me where I've misunderstood how these switches function -- as I'm pretty sure it's a problem on the switch side.

For context, this is a small network, <50 users max plus BYOD so I'm keeping it very simple.  Just a VLAN for network traffic and one for VOIP and one for the default VLAN that is currently for management, and later will not do anything (I'll move management to another VLAN).  I'm trying to do all of this from a remote location which obviously presents its own challenges in testing ideas.

The attachment shows the network I'm trying to implement.  The Mikrotik is setup to create a micro-switch between the two trunked ports that are coming in from the two procurve switches.  (I actually only have the ProCurve1 switch hooked up right now to keep it simple.)  The PC I'm working with remotely is wired to the switch, and from that switch I cannot ping the router.  I was able to before I started mucking with the switch config to setup the VLANs and STP ont his side so I believe it's something I did on the switch but it could conceivably be a problem with the router configuration.  

Here is the switch config:

module 1 type j9729a
trunk 3-4 trk1 lacp
no telnet-server
ip default-gateway 10.0.2.1
vlan 1
   name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
   untagged 1-2,5-48,A1-A2,B1-B2
   tagged Trk1
   ip address 10.0.0.5 255.255.254.0
   exit
vlan 2
   name "OFFICE"
   tagged 1-2,5-48,Trk1
   ip address 10.0.2.5 255.255.254.0
   exit
vlan 4
   name "VOICE"
   tagged Trk1
   ip address 10.0.4.5 255.255.254.0
   voice
   exit
spanning-tree

If I have understood correctly, that configuration should tag all inbound traffic that is not already tagged as being in the DEFAULT_VLAN, and should allow any traffic tagged for VLAN 2 (OFFICE) on any port or Trk1, and any traffic tagged as VLAN4 should be allowed on Trk1.    

But the PC I'm working from is plugged into Port1, and I cannot reach anything but the switch.  When I look at the logs, there's no indication that STP is blocking any ports, and it shows the trunk as up and working (as does the router).  So I assume I am confused about how VLAN tagging and port based VLANs are working on one of the two devices.  If you see something I've done wrong in this switch config I would appreciate some insight.

3 REPLIES 3
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor
Solution

First, your 2920 switch:

You should get rid of the IP addresses on the switch from VLANs 2 & 4. The switch is just doing switching, it doesn't need IP addresses in these subnets.

You have an IP address on VLAN1 - that's just there so you can manage the switch.

Port1 is a VLAN1 port. You have added VLAN2 as "tagged" so your PC can't use it.

What you need is to make VLAN2 as "untagged" on all Access ports on this switch, VLAN4 as "tagged" (because the phones do understand tagged frames.

so you need:

vlan 1
      name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
      tagged Trk1
      ip address 10.0.0.5 255.255.254.0
   vlan 2
      name "OFFICE"
      untagged 1-48
      tagged Trk1
   vlan 4
      name "VOICE"
      tagged 1-48,Trk1

Then you have a router: VLANs end at the router, usually, unless the router has an in-built switch and you can have all 4 interfaces (SFP3-6) in router switchports that are assigned to the same VLAN(s).

If those router interfaces are not switchports, then you can't span the same VLAN out of multiple interfaces.

uid99
Occasional Collector

Thanks.  I actually solved it a bit ago -- the router does actually have the ability to do switching, and I had some config issues there.  Once I corrected that I had an STP problem which I resolved.

The ip address issue is a valid one, I just put them on there as I have no devices connected yet, so it gave me endpoints to test with.  The point on VLAN1 is helpful though, and I had been wanting to figure out if the phones could tag the traffic, so that was helpful - thank you.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

The phones understand a tagged VLAN, but they will need to be *configured* to know their tagged VLAN is VLAN4.

This can be done in 3 ways:

1. configure the phone manually. Not really the way to go.

2. use the switch LLDP to tell the phone the tagged VLAN. Assuming the phones you have support this, then add "voice to the voice VLAN:
   vlan 4
      name "VOICE"

voice
      tagged 1-48,Trk1

3. Use DHCP option to give it the voice VLAN ID along with its DHCP details. Check your phone vendor doco for the correct option to use.