1752782 Members
5909 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Multicast on procurve 2510

BrunoQ
Occasional Visitor

Multicast on procurve 2510

I am installing some procurve 2510 within our lab network that needs multicast support. 

I've upgraded the switches to the lastest and greatest and we have IGMP querier running, which the switch sees for the appropriate vlan's that have them

The problem I am seeing is that the IGMP does not seem to be doing the control of the multicast on the ports, where all ports are seeing the multicast feed, in this case video.  The ports should not be seeing the traffic but does. 

I even configured specific ports to block the multicast traffic and I still see the feeds coming through, and this even after diffrent timeout period.

I've also got some older Nortel switches, connected to the same network and processes the same traffic with success (meaning that the traffic is properly controlled).  My querier is a Windows 2008 R2 with the RAS configured for IGMP with the default values. 

What could I be missing or is it just normal ?

2 REPLIES 2
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Multicast on procurve 2510

Hi BrunoQ,

Do you have 'ip igmp' enabled for every VLAN on which you're using multicast? What is the output of 'show ip igmp' and 'show ip igmp config'?
Regards,
Paul
BrunoQ
Occasional Visitor

Re: Multicast on procurve 2510

IGMP is enabled on all the vlans on the switch. I do get a proper querier (the one configured on the vlan) and some entries are properly entered in the IGMP forwarding table but not for all the flows.

I even tried to not forward the multicast traffic on some port and the traffic is still forwarded to all ports even through the same port is in block mode. 

I have found on some switches (not necessarily HP) to discard the unknown multicast traffic which does the trick.  Is this somehting that is possible on the 2510 ?