5202 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: PREVENT NETWORK LOOP ON SWITCH

Chrisd131313
Trusted Contributor

Hey Paul,

Personally I have not come across any myself, but based on HPs documentation this seems to be something that can occur...

Spanning tree cannot detect the formation of loops where there is an unmanaged device on the network that does not process spanning tree packets and simply drops them. Loop protection has no such limitation, and can be used to prevent
loops on unmanaged switches.

Maybe I am interpreting the passage incorrectly, if so please ignore my previous comment and set me straight! :)

-----------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to mark a post resolved if your question was answered.
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

I agree 100%; i've just never seen an unmanaged switch that dropped BPDUs and was curious which ones they were (so i can avoid them). :-)
Regards,
Paul
kalyan333

hi 

i have hp 1900 series switches 

i  have faced a problem while looping these switches in netwrok. these two switches having vlan1(1-9 and 19-28 untagged) and vlan2(10-18 untagged and 19-28 tagged).

switch A ---25 port --- ofc connected to location P

switch B ---25 port ----ofc connected to location Q

P and Q are inter connected to somewhere in network(3com switches).

my problem is iam connecting a loop cable(straight cable) to switch A and Switch B on 24 port one both switches ...then entire n/w goes down...i mean packets drop....

please tell me solutions immediatly... 

Razt

Hi guys,

Yes everything people have said is correct however that still doesn't stop anyone from reoming or inserting a cable at the data socket end. There is another alternative called NetLoc,

www.netloc.co.uk

I saw this product and ive managed to get hold of some. it's pretty nifty little gadet and does exaclty what is says on the tin!!

you might want to check it out as it's a great deterrent and works beautifully in my school and a warehouse i look after as it also stops damage and saved me a shed load of money as i don;t need to upgrade my unmanaged switches now to get the beneift of STP.

cheers

Raz