Aruba & ProVision-based
1752807 Members
6012 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

ProCurve IDM VLAN's - How do they work in the real world?

UselessUser1
Contributor

ProCurve IDM VLAN's - How do they work in the real world?

Hi,

I have just been looking with interest at the ProCurve IDM suite... we already have PCM+ 3.2 and our network is fully HP ProCurve...

My query regards around the mobility of users and how this works in the real world... i.e. all the HP manuals I can find show a real basic example of two switches connected to a single routing device, with VLAN's pre-defined on both switches, and basically the switch reconfigures a port correctly based on the type of user logging on and applies ACL's etc...

But what about the real world and my scenario, where there are multiple layer 3 devices in multiple buildings... and therefore lots of seperate VLAN's...

So to put a concrete example down, say I have building A which contains the HR department, they are all on a single switch which has their ports in VLAN 150, IP range 172.16.2.0/24...

Now what happens if one user takes their laptop to an entirely different building where nothing has been defined? I think I am missing something pretty obvious in regards to how this functions, because I am sure IDM would not require you to create VLAN's in every single possible location a user could move to, otherwise you would have loads of replicated VLAN's!

1 REPLY 1
Sietze Reitsma
Respected Contributor

Re: ProCurve IDM VLAN's - How do they work in the real world?

IDM supports location based Vlans. So per building you create (or PCM/IDM) vlans for specific groups. 

example: 

3 buildings and 3 user groups (HR, Marketing/Sales and IT Admin)

HR vlan 101 in bld A, 102 in bldg B and 102 in Bldg C

M/s vlan 201 in bld A, 202 in bldg B and 202 in Bldg C

IT Admin vlan 1001 in bld A, 1002 in bldg B and 1002 in Bldg C

IDM can easily make a policy per usergroup to make these rules dynamically work.

Maybe a better approach is to use dynamic ACLs

In that case you create only geographical Vlans

So vlan 10 in Building A, Vlan 20 in Building B and Vlan 30 in Building C

every user get from the radius server a building VLAN + dynamic ACL. This dynamic ACL grants the user to specifi resources like internet, HR application group etc.

Dynamic ACLs are easier to manage, because they are deployed per user.