108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Procurve 2510-24G shows only 32 vlans in "vlan port assigment" tab

IYDKMIGTHTKY
Occasional Visitor

Procurve 2510-24G shows only 32 vlans in "vlan port assigment" tab

Hi,

Could you please advise on the following issue:

HP Procurve 2510-24G switches have been configured to support 64 vlans (Switch Configuration -> Vlan Menu -> Vlan Support:  "Maximum VLANs to support [8] : 64"). After that  34 vlans have been created, but only 32 show up in "Vlan Port Assignment" tab. Each newly created vlan pushes out one of the previously created ones from the list of available vlans in "Vlan Port Assignment".

For example:

- vlan "test 1" is set as Tagged on port 10 and all other vlans (incl. default) are set to No

- we add more vlans and "test1" is pushed out of available vlans list, port 10 will seem to have no vlan assigned, which will cause an error to appear when trying to make any changes to configuration, e.g. saving port assignment for newly created vlans

-switch seems not to be aware of tagging for "test1" vlan for port 10, as if port 10 had only No setting for all vlans, not just those currently visible under "Vlan Port Assignment"

This problem only manifests via console connection, when configuring via web graphical interface all vlans can be seen and configured. I am not sure however whether configured via web ui the switch will work properly, since it shows errors on the console mode.

Could you please let me know if there is a solution to this problem? I have found a similar problem, but for a different product. In version I.08.55 Software for the HP ProCurve 2800 Series "Menu PR_94905 — 2848 Configuration screen shows only 32 VLANs of configured 48." seems to have been solved, but nothing for 2510 series.

BR,

I.

P.S. this thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. - Hp Forum Moderator

8 REPLIES 8
IYDKMIGTHTKY
Occasional Visitor

Re: Procurve 2510-24G shows only 32 vlans in "vlan port assigment" tab

Hi,

I have found a disturbing entry in 2510G series documentation: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02563861/c02563861.pdf . On page 34 it says "In addition to the default VLAN, you can configure up to 29 other static VLANs".

Does this mean that the information on product page http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/products/switches/HP_2510_Switch_Series/index.aspx#Layer%202%20switching  is inaccurate, and the switch cannot support up to 64 vlans if you choose to configure them all statically? May this be the reason why only 32 vlans with the lowest VIDs show up in "Vlan Port Assignment" tab during configuration via console?

I would really appreciate an answer on this.

BR,

I.

jpark
Occasional Visitor

Hi!

Same issue with 8212zl. Any solution or ideas with this problem?

BR.

Jukka

jpark
Occasional Visitor

According HP support this is by design. So, no way getting visual sight for tagging table more than 32 vlans.

crnet
Occasional Visitor

any update or corrective firmware on this subject, we recently added few vlans and reached the more than 32 vlans.

the  vlan port assigment is now impossible to use on the 5412zl and on 2500 series switch.

and now what ???

internalnews
Frequent Advisor

This is kind of strange. Does such a limit also exist for Comware based switches?

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi

The question seems to be concerning the menu interface. I'm not sure what the exact issue is, but there might be a misunderstanding somewhere.

For example 8200 supports 2048 VLANs. I think 2510G goes also beyond 32 - don't have one at hand to check just now. Go to config mode on CLI, and give command "max-vlans ?". This will show you the limits. And of course with same command you define what is hte max number your switch supports.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
internalnews
Frequent Advisor

Hm, I thought the problem is that it is not possible to configure one port with more than  32 tags?

ersman

Hi,

I have encountered this as well. I work in a lab environment where there is a need to create / manage several VLANs. I am using a Procurve 5406 and is configured with 37 VLANs. I manage my switches using the "menu" mode after I telnet into the switch. Even though the switch is configured to allow 256 VLANs, I am unable to use the "VLAN port assignments" menu to tag / untag vlans on my ports. The reason why is because the menu only shows the first 32 VLANs. The last 5 VLANs on the switch do not show up. Since I have some ports on the switch tagged with the VLANs not showing up on the menu, I get this error:

"One VLAN must be either tagged or Untagged"

The reason it is throwing this error is because the menu is not show ALL of the VLAN's, so it thinks some ports are not configured, which isn't the case.

So now, any time I want to tag / untag a port on this switch I need to do it via CLI, which is not as user friendly. This is a BIG problem and I do not see why this would be intentional. What is the point of allowing more than 33 VLANs on a switch if you cannot configure the ports using the "menu"?

I attached two screen shots. One shows the results of "show vlans" and the other shows the last visible VLAN on the "VLAN Port Assignment" menu. Here you can see there should be 5 more VLANs showing up, but they are not.