stefanlindblom

Procurve LACP minimum links

Hi!

For JunOS (juniper), you can do something like:

set interfaces ae0 aggregated-ether-options minimum-links 2
set interfaces ae0 aggregated-ether-options link-speed 10g
set interfaces ae1 aggregated-ether-options minimum-links 2
set interfaces ae1 aggregated-ether-options link-speed 10g

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos9.6/information-products/topic-collections/config-guide-network-interfaces/interfaces-configuring-aggregated-ethernet-minimum-links.html: https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos9.6/information-products/topic-collections/config-guide-network-interfaces/interfaces-configuring-aggregated-ethernet-minimum-links.html

Which means that if there's less than 2 functioning ports in the aggregate, the whole  aggregate will be disabled - which is very usefull in a HA / redundancy configuration.

Is there a similar option on HP procurve switches?

HP E8206zl and HP E5412zl

3 REPLIES 3
Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

Re: Procurve LACP minimum links

Unless they have added it in later firmware releases (I haven't been reading those release notes much lately - I used to read every one of them), then there is no such option.

Link Aggregation is done using:

trunk < port-list > < trk1 ... trk144> < trunk | lacp >

or

interface < port-list > lacp < active | passive >

(No idea why anybody would want to use dynamic LACP, but it's there)

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

@stefanlindblom: Like Vince, my information could be out of date, but i haven't seen such a feature on any ProCurve switch.

@Vince: I've heard that one reason people use dynamic LACP is to reduce the possibility of misconfigurations (because if the parameters on the links don't match they won't be included in the trunk).  I can't say that's a high priority for me, but if you had very large teams and coordination was difficult, it would make sense to do it that way.

Regards,
Paul
Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

This is indeed not possible with provision switches (does not help you, but it is supported by all comware switches).

On provision, dynamic lacp is typically never used anymore, due to the lack of manual vlan configuration options with these dynamic trunks, so lots of people have been frustrated to see their dynamic trunk ports show up in vlan 1 ...

GVRP would be the solution for that... so everyone I know is using manual trunks (with/without lacp on the manual trunk),

Best regards,Peter.