108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Procurve Switch - Generating Trap or Syslog on Configuration Change

AveryAdams
Occasional Visitor

Procurve Switch - Generating Trap or Syslog on Configuration Change

Crossposted from Network/Wireless Forum

Hello,

We are running a monitoring/management tool that is capable of detecting configuration changes and retreiving the new config from the changed device.  This tool relies on an SNMP trap or a syslog message being received to kick off the process.

I have not been able to figure out how to get these switches to send syslog messages or SNMP traps upon configuration change events.  We run SNMPv3, but even experimenting with other versions I have not been able to accomplish this.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to generate traps or syslog messages when the configuration is changed, and if so, how would I accomplish this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

It would help if you were specific about the actual models, and preferably firmware versions. The more current the firmware, and newer/higher end the switch, the more likely it is that supports it.

See for example the 2910al manual, page 386. http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03278928/c03278928.pdf I think you can get traps on some models if you prefer; you might have to poke around in the release notes for sketchy details.

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

From a ProCurve 5400:

snmp-server enable traps startup-config-change
snmp-server enable traps running-config-change

From the 5400 log (also in Syslog):

I 08/17/13 22:50:54 03125 mgr: Startup configuration changed by CLI.  New seq. number 904
I 08/17/13 22:43:00 03125 mgr: Startup configuration changed by CLI.  New seq. number 903

Hopefully that is what you were after?

TW_Nighty
Advisor

Also, to check your switch capabilities and current setup you can issue the command:

show snmp-server

This will present you with the currently configured:

SNMP Communities

Trap receivers 

Trap category's like Link state changes, login attempts, config change.

To get the config change trap to your SNMP server you will als need a link like this in your config:

snmp-server host "Server IP here" community "public" trap-level not-info

The default trap level is NONE !

not-info will send every level execpt the "informational only traps"

Regards,

Ton