4164 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

QoS affecting lan traffic throughput

lpaz
Occasional Contributor

QoS affecting lan traffic throughput

Hi All:

new here, so I apoligize fot his being a little wordy. Not certain how best to explain this.

Hope soemone can help and thanks!

We recently completed a Mitel VoIP installation. As part of this installatin the Mitel people suggested we implement QoS on our HP switches as well as configuring lldp-med.

We now have teachers at our high school location complaining the network is slow. I have used Lan Speed Test to run tests and it seems we are only getting around 30-40mbs writes and around 60 mb/s reads on average. If I plug into one of the VoiP POE switches, it seems we are getting around 70-90mb/s writes and around 88-91mb/s reads.

We have a seperate voice or phone vlan wiht the ports marked as "tagged" for the vocie vlan on the HP 2620 switch and the ports are "untagged" on the Data vlan.

The network is basicaly laid out as follows:

Core or Edge swtihc at high school: HP 5412

LAN Switches: Mix--HP 2650's, 2610's 2910's

VoIP Switches: HP 2620

Does implementing QoS on the switch reserver the bandwidth? I thought it should be dynamic and the Qos would basiclaly "come on" when it is needed?

I am enclosing a partial config here of the QoS that we implemented on the switches.

I may be running down the wrong rabbit trail here, but I'm not certain what else would be affecting the nework speeds on the local LAN?

max-vlans 128
time timezone -360
time daylight-time-rule Continental-US-and-Canada
qos dscp-map 101110 priority 6
module 1 type J8702A
module 2 type J8705A
module 3 type J8702A

vlan 6
   name "District_Phone"
   untagged A10
   qos dscp 101110
   ip helper-address 192.168.164.2
   ip address 192.168.164.1 255.255.255.0
   tagged A11,B10,B19
   voice
   exit

The two qos commands are the only instances of the qos command that i ahve implemented. Do I need to do anyting additional to load balance the switch to allow the data vlan greater bandwidth?

1 REPLY 1
Scutt14
Occasional Advisor

Re: QoS affecting lan traffic throughput

Hi,

Enabling the IP phone VLAN as voice should be all you need to do. Enabling voice on a vlan will allow the phones to boot up using LLDP but it will also prioritze voice traffic across the LAN.

I would remove the manual QOS programming you have deployed, the option 125 for the IP phones will give the phones the Priority and the LAN will honour it as long as the ports are tagged. see below.

Voice VLAN QoS Prioritizing (Optional), without configuring the switch to prioritize voice VLAN following conditions applies:

1. If the ports in a voice VLAN are not tagged members then the switch forwards all traffic on that VLAN at "normal" priority.
  2. If the ports in a voice VLAN are tagged members then the switch forwards all traffic on that VLAN at whatever priority the traffic has when received inbound on the switch.

Hope this helps.