Aruba & ProVision-based
1753792 Members
7586 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Setting up internal DHCP server on HP Procurve 2920-48G (J9728A)

SOLVED
Go to solution
taykaiz
Occasional Collector

Setting up internal DHCP server on HP Procurve 2920-48G (J9728A)

Hi all,

I have managed to set up multiple VLANs for my small office network and I would like to set up a DHCP server on my HP Procurve 2920-48G (J9728A) such that devices connected to each VLAN would be serviced by the DHCP server and provided with an IP.

I have done some research and it seems that the HP2920 switch does indeed offer DHCP server functionality and I have found some guides discussing how to set up DHCP server such as: 

http://community.hpe.com/t5/ProCurve-ProVision-Based/How-to-create-DHCP-server-in-2920-Procurve-switch/m-p/6752273#M8078

However, when attempting to follow the same configuration steps, I found that my HP2920 switch does not offer the command "dhcp-server".  When attempting to user "dhcp-server" command, I am prompted with a "Invalid Input" error. Checking the list of available commands via "help" command verifies that there is indeed no "dhcp-server" command. Therefore, I would like to seek advice regarding how to enable the dhcp-server command/function. I would really appreciate the assistance as I do not have prior networking experience. Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
AbeAbe
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Setting up internal DHCP server on HP Procurve 2920-48G (J9728A)

Hi,

you might need to update your Switchsoftware to a newer version, as the DHCP-Server is a relative new feature for the 2920 switches.

hth

taykaiz
Occasional Collector

Re: Setting up internal DHCP server on HP Procurve 2920-48G (J9728A)

Thank you for your suggestion. The command appears after updating the firmware.