108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TFTP upload fails

SOLVED
Go to solution
lweinlan
Occasional Advisor

TFTP upload fails

I did backed up the startup configuration of a HP procurve 2510G-24 (Software revision Y.11.08) on a USB flash drive.
I am trying to upload this config file to a HP 2650 (revision H_10_83). The 2650 is used as a backup switch, and I would like to be able to configure it rapidly with the configuration setup of other HP switches that we have, in case one switch like the 2510g-24 fails.
When I try to upload the 2510G-24 startup file to the 2650 using TFTP, the upload fails. Why ?

TLswt# copy tftp startup-config 129.121.236.5 sw-503-1239f-01
Device may be rebooted, do you want to continue [y/n]? y
00000K Wrong file.
TLswt#

Uploading a startup file that was backed up on the 2650 (to the USB flash) back to the same 2650 works fine.

P.S. This thread has been moved from from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. -HP Forum Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor
Solution

In the config, there is a product ID. The switch looks at that info and decides whether or not it can load it.

During the tftp of a config file, the switch reads the config file and if the ID in the config does not match the product, no upload.

You can modify the config with appropriate ports, ID, etc and then load it.

hth...Jeff

fyi:
3500yl - ; J8692A
3500 (not yl) - ; J9471A
2510 - ; J9019A
lweinlan
Occasional Advisor

Thank you,

this did it. What you have to do is to change the first line of the startup file to match the HP procurve on which you want to load the startup config.
For example:
In my case if I want to TFTP upload a startup config file to a 2510G-24, then the first line of my file should be:
; J9279A Configuration Editor; Created on release #Y.11.08

In my case if I want to TFTP upload a startup config file to a 2650, then the first line of my file should be:
; J4899B Configuration Editor; Created on release #H.10.83
Ruud Hermans
Occasional Contributor

how do you change the config file? same problem here
lweinlan
Occasional Advisor

you first download the config file from your switch, let's say a 2510 using tftp (for example: 2510# copy startup-config tftp 192.35.44.77 startfile), you then edit with a text editor like notepad or wordpad or other linux text editor. You then change the line on top of the config file. You save the file.
Julian Borthwick

Hi, sorry to open an old thread, but I'm trying to update my firmware and have hit this problem.

I've got 6 switches, but one will not update and I think it's because the first line of the config reads:

; HWID.0 Configuration Editor; Created on release #K.12.16

Trouble is, when I follow steps in this post, I can't upload a revised startup config as I get the same error:

00000K Wrong file.

drlegall

You also need to edit the model number that you see after any module types in the config. Example below (in red).

; J9146A Configuration Editor; Created on release #W.15.08.0012

module 1 type j9146a

; J9148A Configuration Editor; Created on release #W.15.08.0012

module 1 type j9148a

jaybglg
Occasional Advisor

thanks! i had some garbage at the begining of my file i didnt notice. cleaned it up and it worked.