4550 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

VLANs Between Switches

LeeGS
Occasional Collector

VLANs Between Switches

Hi Folks,

Hopefully this in in the right category, apologies if it's not.

I have 2 Procurve switches in two separate buildings (a J9079A and a J9080A) the two are linked via fibre and network traffic is flowing smoothly between them.

What I'm now trying to do though is have 1 port on each switch that can talk to each other, but not the rest of the network (the 2 ports are for servers that control industrial equipment) and as far as I can gather a VLAN would be the best way of accomplishing this - though I'm fairly new to networking, so I'm happy to be corrected if this isn't the case.

So on each switch I've created VLAN 4, and then assigned port 4 on each switch to that VLAN. Each of the servers is setup with a static IP on the same subnet (they aren't part of a domain) but I can't get them to see each other.

Can anyone give some advice on what I'm missing?

Regards, Lee.

1 REPLY 1
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: VLANs Between Switches

The step you've missed is this: you then need to "connect" VLAN4 between all your switches.

On each "Access" switch where you have VLAN4, add VLAN4 as "tagged" to that switch's uplink port.

Then, at the other end of that link, add VLAN4 to the switch it is connecting to, and add VLAN4 "tagged" to the port the "Access" switch is patched to.\

And so forth - you need VLAN4 "tagged" on any inter-switch link where VLAN4 has to connect.