1753620 Members
6501 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: no switchport feature in procurve

Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

no switchport feature in procurve

I have a new 5300XL switch that I will turn into a router. What I am looking at is to turn an individual switchport into a router interface. Previously, I have just created a vlan and given the vlan an IP address. This will not work now due to the fact that we are implementing Metro Ethernet with the local telco and they put their VLAN ID on their switch port and if I vlan on my side I would have to vlan on the other side, which sometimes is not my equipment. What I am looking for the the no switchport like feature on a procurve switch that I can accomplish this with so that I dont have to rely on L2 vlans to perform L3 routing.
Regards,
chris

P.S. This thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. - Hp Forum moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris

I'm wondering, what do you need to achieve exactly ?

Because from my knowledge most of the vendors like HP, Foundry ... they have a Vlan interface basis for the purpose of routing, unlike Cisco when you turn on a Switch port to a L3 router interface with no switchport command.

I believe, we can find a solution for what you are looking for, just let us know what it is exactly.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

We have a couple of different scenarios, our current scenario: we connect to a neighboring facility with a VLAN assigned an IP address, we have port B1 untagged with a VLAN 254 with an IP address of 172.24.254.1 its next hop is a cisco router with an IP address of 172.24.254.30 that connects to the neighboring facility. This works fine for that scenario. The problem comes when the ethernet spans other ethernet networks, like our telco who uses Q in Q or VLAN tunneling.. I have a router interface on my side of the network and it must talk to another facility that most likely doesn't have any network staff, so if I create a vlan the vlan must be matched at the other facility since they are essentially on the same network.
I hope I have explained myself.
Thanks,
Chris
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Can you try the protocol-based Vlan.

Switch(config)#vlan 20 protocol ipv4

I think this type of Vlans will solve your problem.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

If I do this will it apply the vlan tag on the packet or will it just make it a router interface? My question is will the other end of the connection have to know about vlan 20?
Chris
NetTechMike
Occasional Visitor

If I understand this correctly you are trying to connect a remote site that does not have a router to your network.

If you are from the cisco world some of the HP methodology can be a little confusing. I think this will clarify some things for you.

Cisco  .............. /..............HP

Trunk Port= Port with multiple tagged vlans

Access Port = Port with only an untagged vlan for the vlan the client should be on

No switchport = Port with only an untagged vlan only assigned to that port and an IP address assigned to the VLAN

If you are trying to make a port communicate without any VLAN tag ids, simply remove any tagged vlans on a port and set it to have the untagged vlan of the Switch Virtual Interface you want to communicate with it. 

If you have a WAN link that you do not control the other end of, you should only send an untagged vlan. Untagged means the other end doesn't get a tag, and there for doesn't need to know it's a member of a vlan.

Caveat: Because HP Switches do not do true “no switchport” type function, Dynamic routing protocols like OSPF that use port bandwidth as a metric see the SVI’s port with its bandwidth as being the source of the metric, and will not be able to ascertain the best link between two locations using this metric, even if the connected ports are set to different speeds.