108759 Solutions
New Discussion

HP SUM 5.0.1 crashes on Win2K8 R2

SOLVED
Go to solution
kkpro
Regular Advisor

HP SUM 5.0.1 crashes on Win2K8 R2

Hi, I downloaded  Service Pack for ProLiant 2012.02.0 and trying to run Smart Update Manager version 5.0.1 from DVD-rom.

My system is DL120 G7 with Windows 2008 R2 Server x64, latest MS hotfixes.

I go through "Check for latest updates from ftp.hp.com", then select "Target: localhost", then add Administrator credentials (why btw it needed by SUM?), then it shows "Doing self discovery cp.... .exe" and crashes (just reboot without nothing) always on this step.

10 REPLIES 10
shocko
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SUM 5.0.1 crashes on Win2K8 R2

Are you 100% the download is intact? Have you check the checksum provided with it?

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
kkpro
Regular Advisor

Hi shocko,

Yes I checked, checksum is OK. This is not a media error I think.

shocko
Honored Contributor

No, I agree ;). I have had the issue before and it simply disappeared. I was never able to track it down. In general, I did not encounter the issue when running hpsum.exe from an elevated command prompt where the working directory was the same as the directory in which hpsum.exe resided.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
kkpro
Regular Advisor

I tried too, with and without elevated command prompt - but without luck...

MaxSys
Occasional Advisor

I'm running into the exact same issue on an ML110 G7 (Similar hardware in a tower IIRC).  Just to clarify - the program isn't restarting, it's actually crashing out Windows completely and forcing a full system restart.  Nothing in error log, no bluescreen or minidump, just dead.

Consedering it's HP Software running on HP Hardware and an MS O/S, it's not exactly comforting. 

MaxSys
Occasional Advisor
Solution

It appears the issue is a well-known problem with the ML110/DL120 servers running iLO 3 firmware 1.20.

Manually upgrade the iLO firmware, and it's working fine on both my systems now.

GROUP7
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

unfortunately, this also did not bring any effort on our system. We have a DL120 G7 with Server 2008 R2 SP1 and SUM/the server crashes when doing self discovery. We already had firmware 1.26 and upgraded to 1.28B but to no avail.

I have upgraded the System ROM to the newest version and will now try if that has an impact on the situation.

Best regards,

Ben

MaxSys
Occasional Advisor

I was incorrect before - they've actually noted this issue in the updated release notes for SUM 5.0.1. 

From : http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/doc/p1911724091/v76630/HPSUMReleaseNotes5.0.1.pdf

[Page 13]

HP SUM stops responding on DL120 G7/ML110 G7 during discovery while doing online flashing
for Windows
While doing online flashing on DL 120 G7/ML110 G7 on Windows OS with SPP 2012.02.0, HP SUM
stops responding during component discovery on component cp011625.exe and eventually the server
reboots. Running the component individually will also cause the DL 120 G7/ML110 G7 to stop
responding with an eventual server reboot. The server firmware can be upgraded on Windows OS using
FW DVD 10.0.

It's been "Conditially Fixed" in SUM 5.1.0 as long as you don't download cp011625

see: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/kb/docDisplay/?docId=emr_na-c03343931

Chri5B
Occasional Advisor

Do you know which update to deselect?

I'm having this problem trying to patch a new DL120 G7 via HP SUM.

cp011625.exe seems to relate to "Online ROM Flash for Windows - Power Management Controller (c-Class blades)" but I'm struggling to find which item in the HP SUM download permission list to remove.  It is getting quite boring waiting for the server to POST and boot after every failed patch attempt.