1752292 Members
4463 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

1783 - Slot 0 Drive Array Controller Failure - p410i

vroc31426
Occasional Collector

1783 - Slot 0 Drive Array Controller Failure - p410i

We have had these servers deployed since mid-March with no problems until we started updating the firmware and BIOS in late October.  Since then, we have averaged about 1 server failure every 6 weeks with this error.  HP tries to insist that it is the controller’s fault.  We have found through troubleshooting that if we install known good drives into the box, the problem goes away.  If we install the failed drives into another known good box, this error will follow the drives, not the controller.  The drives (both of them) are unusable at this point.

We can remove the drives from the box, run SmartStart utility and the controller is visible.  If we reinsert the drives and run SmartStart, the controller is not visible.

The following message is displayed during POST, it appears to be very specific with the dlu code, but I haven't been able to find any kind of information:

1783 – Slot 0 Drive Array Controller Failure!  Command failure (cmd=0h, err=00h, dlu=013:5h)

System configuration:

ProLiant ML350 G6 (2011.05.05 – D22)
Smart Array p410i (5.06) (RAID 0+1)
2 x 300GB SAS drives(various, EF0300FATFD – HPD2, EF0300FARMU – HPD3)
Windows Server 2008 (W32 – Standard) – SP2

6 REPLIES 6
Jacob W Anderson
Occasional Advisor

Re: 1783 - Slot 0 Drive Array Controller Failure - p410i

Have you run the firmware upgrade (version 9.3) to update the FW on the drives? make sure they have updated firmware too. There has been quite a bit of chatter on drive FW incompatibility with the new P series of controllers (which are not HP, but just branded HP).

You have to put the drivers into the box and then boot with the FW DVD to update the FW on the drive. The FW update manager will automatically update the FW on the drives.

I think you have FW HPD2 and HPD3 on your drives. Not sure where the current revision is for your type of drive.

Have you tried a new controller?

vroc31426
Occasional Collector

Thanks for the info on the controller, I will look into it.  Back when all of this started, we were pushing the drive f/w updates through HPSIM.  That was when we had our first occurance.  The controller is integrated on the system board, no cache module, but when we move drives to another system, problem follows the drives..  Known good drives work fine.

Manab_jyoti

Were you able to resolve this? I'm facing the same issue. My setup consist of a BL460c G7 & P410i.

InfoAssurPro
Occasional Visitor

mli2oz
Occasional Visitor

I have error message as below after doing firmware updating from 3.66 to 6.64.

1783 – Slot 0 Drive Array Controller Failure!  Command failure (cmd=0h, err=020h, dlu=013:4h)

struggled for few days. downloaded different version smart firmware update dvd, smart service park, smart update manager, hp usb key utility. tried to downgrad firmware as this link says. while I am trying downgrade, it is said no device driver installed and doesn't allow me to select device to update firmware.

The link below give me the hints.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Array-Controller-P410i-issue/td-p/6191197#.VfuAGZes_kY

Once tried Remove/Disconnect BBWC and I can see the error disappears.

Hope this may help others. Thanks for all the contributers.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Looks like the array cache module has failed, but this is not related to the update at all.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!