1752577 Members
4999 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Addin one singel SATA HDD to existing server

KMohr

Addin one singel SATA HDD to existing server

Hallo everybody,

i don't know if i'm in the right forum but i have a big Problem with a server of ours.

We have a HP Proliant DL120 G6 Server with an Smart Array B110i.

Installed are 2 250GB Drives wich are running perfectely in a Raid 1.

Now the problem is, that we have to add one singel 2 TB Sata HDD for Storage and so on.

Until now i failed. The Harddrive is recognised in the Array and i can make a raid 0 out of it. In the Computer Management i can see it but cant initialize it. (red small error down)

The OS is an Windows Server 2012 Core.

Thanks for the help in advance and sorry for the bad english (not my nativ language)

MFG Kai

1 REPLY 1
Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

Re: Addin one singel SATA HDD to existing server

The support page for the DL120 G6 is at

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?sp4ts.oid=3984621

Click on the "Manuals" tab and then below it will say "Choose your manual type or view all". Click "view all" and then scroll down the list and search for "HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller User Guide". That should contain the instructions for your controller. (You may want to download the other manuals as well.)

I don't think it supports what you are trying to do : have an existing 2-drive raid 1 array and add a 3rd drive in raid 0, but the instructions for adding drives and configuring arrays are there.  From the manual:

"Configuring an array
The HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller supports SATA drives only.
For the most efficient use of drive space, all drives within an array should have approximately the same
capacity. Each configuration utility treats every physical drive in an array as if it has the same capacity as
the smallest drive in the array. Any excess capacity of a particular drive cannot be used in the array.
Therefore, the capacity is unavailable for data storage.
The more physical drives that are in an array, the greater the probability that the array will experience a
drive failure during any given period. To reduce the risk of data loss that might occur when a drive fails,
configure all logical drives in an array with a suitable fault-tolerance (RAID) method.
The HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller supports up to two logical drives.
Newly created logical drives are invisible to the operating system. To make the new logical drives
available for data storage, format them using the instructions given in the operating system
documentation."

So if you add a 2TB drive to an array with 2 250GB drives, the array will only recognize 250GB of the 2TB drive. I think you need to add a second Smart Array Controller (if supported), or replace the 2 250GB drives with 2 2TB drives and then split the array into 2 logical drives.