4860 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Again: Third Party SSD on ML150 Gen9

Tim_273
Occasional Advisor

Again: Third Party SSD on ML150 Gen9

Hi everybody,

I know, it was asked several times, but may be there are some updates meanwhile, which give me some hope! :-)

I'm tied to HP servers since many years and am offering Proliant ML150 Gen9 servers with Hyper-V to SMBs which have to replace their SBSses. With Hyper-V I need IOPS and, you guess it, SSDs.

I perfectly understand, that HP wants to sell it's own products and does not want to assume any responsibility for third party products. But to me the only alternative is: Proliant WITH third party SSD or Non-HP-Server, since SSDs to me indispensable for a Hyper-V-System, but my clients will not pay for the HP original SSDs .

So is it possible to use, as an example, three 850 Pro 512GB as mirror set with hot spare on an P440 controller with all functions (LEDs on drive caddies, email alerting in case of failures)?

How can I go ahead with HP? Thanks a lot for your comments or sharing your solutions or ideas,

Stefano

5 REPLIES 5
JoshSwain

Re: Again: Third Party SSD on ML150 Gen9

I agree, we're using third party SSDs because HP drives simply aren't an option - they've priced themselves out of the design.

The intel dc S3700 has very high endurance ratings at 100 full writes per day, probably better than other brands HP may use, or it may even use the same disks in the mainstream endurance category with a 60% markup and 2 years less warranty. I plan to use the Intel dc P3700 cards in HP servers to avoid putting SSD behind an HP raid card and stay in a supported configuration. If the data set requires raid I'd suggest finding a non HP raid / HBA card or another server brand with the sas dc s3700 or similar. 

As the industry moves to software defined storage (VMware vSAN) - HP will have to catch up or be left behind.

Interestingly enough HP acknowledges that Intel dc class drives are a better value.

http://h30614.www3.hp.com/collateral/LasVegas2014/presentations/DT4068.pdf

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@JoshSwain wrote:

Interestingly enough HP acknowledges that Intel dc class drives are a better value.

http://h30614.www3.hp.com/collateral/LasVegas2014/presentations/DT4068.pdf

Sorry I don't have an answer for the original poster, but I don't see in the above mentioned presentation where HP ackmowledged anything.  That was a presentation given at Discover 2014 by Intel about Intel products

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Tim_273
Occasional Advisor

Hi Josh,

thanks for input, interesting ideas. It's no good vision to me being forced to dive into the server systems of a new manufacturer, life is complicated enough.

It always has been a hard fight to convince my clients to buy certified HP server products instead of simple computer hardware. They use to say "My PC never brakes, so why paying 5000 $ for a server, if my PC costs 500 $?" But meanwhile I don't feel well using third party parts within HP servers and resistance of my clients to pay several thousand Dollars only for Disks is insurmountable. So I have to bite the bullet and look for one of those smaller server manufacturers, that use the well known brand SSDs. They're reliable enough today, maybe not for a bank, but for an SMB.

Thanks a lot,

Stefano

BK_HPE
Valued Contributor

Hi@Tim_273

As others have pointed out, you will get different answers from different people because there are mixed results when you interchange equipment from different manufacturers. 

You do have some options to save on hardware costs with HP.  I can help you explore HP SMB Easy Financing options or purchasing the HP Proliant ML350 through HP Smart Buy.  I can also get you in touch with one of our Server experts who will be able to give specific recommendations, also advise you on the best storage plan for your Hyper-V environment when budget is a concern.  We want to do what we can to make sure that you have the necessary information when you are presenting HP solutions to your clients so it will not be a "fight" but a conversation focused on providing the right solutions. 

Augusto Becker Jucá
Occasional Visitor

Hi JoshSwain, as I understand you are using third party SSDs with HP smart Array, and you plan to use DC P3700, right ?

What HP server and smart array are you using in these enviromment  ?

I would like to know if Intel SC3700 are recognized by HP Smart arrays in Proliant Gen9 and if it really works, not worrying about a supported configuration.

So maybe you can help me with these informations.

thank you