1752781 Members
6587 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Brand new DL380 G7 fans question

phiii
Regular Visitor

Brand new DL380 G7 fans question

Just booted up a brand new DL380 G7 and noticed the fans going full blast.  Eventually this machine will be moved to my datacenter, but for the time being I'd like to build/configure/etc in a staging area I have in my office - I'm just concerned that something might be off because these things are blowing like crazy and I'm in an air conditioned office space.

In the BIOS I saw that you have a choice between optimal and increased cooling, I left it at the default optimal - Power is also set to Balance Power&Performance which I believe was also the default.

I haven't bothered installing an OS yet, the only thing I did was configure ILO, just wanted to check and see if there is something I'm missing as the fans seem to be in overdrive for no reason at all, unless of course they're meant to do that by default :)

7 REPLIES 7
waaronb
Respected Contributor

The DL380 G7 *should* lower the fan speeds after the BIOS posts, so if they're still running at full speed even after it starts up, it's a sign that something is too hot (or thinks it is) or maybe there's a problem with one of the fan modules so the others will always run at full blast to ensure adequate cooling.

There are some fan modules that, if they fail, I think the system just shuts down rather than use a fan redundancy mode... those are probably the ones that blow over the CPUs.

Anyway, that's a guess. If you look at the system errors or watch during boot for anything unusual, it may give you an idea if that's the cause.
phiii
Regular Visitor

Hmm, yeah something appears to be a little off.  Its a dual processor and I went through and seated/reseated all six fans and they seem to be working properly, the fans just never slow down.  The temp is 69 and the only error message upon bootup is that one of the redundant power supplies is not working (because I only plugged one in for now) so I don't know what to think. 

Hopefully this is "normal" once I move it to the datacenter the annoyance part of this is done, just don't want it to malfunction a week after it goes into production LOL

waaronb
Respected Contributor

I wonder if it's because that other supply isn't powered up. It has it's own fan, and maybe without power to it it's treating the cooling system as operating in "recovery mode".

Try plugging it in, or removing the extra supply and see if it's any better.
phiii
Regular Visitor

Yep tried that yesterday, unfortunately same situation. I have a few other things to try in the meantime, I will update after I've done it and report whether or not any of them worked.
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Maybe it will be better once you've installed the OS and the HP software, where the system agents can take over fan speed control. Worth a shot.
phiii
Regular Visitor

Thanks, but no dice unfortunately. I was wrong, this was not a brand new server, but was purchased as a refurb. I've been in contact with the vendot, seems that something on the board must be defective so I'm gonna push for a replacement.
phiii
Regular Visitor

ILO does tell me the fans are only running at 13%, however the amount of noise coming from this machine tells me different....I'm wondering if the sensor/s that talk to ILO and the sensor/s that actually control the fan speeds are not in sync or something?