6457 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CPU Swapping?

br1anang
Occasional Advisor

CPU Swapping?

Hello All,

I have a question regarding CPU swapping in a DL 380 G4 server.

Secondary server has 2 CPUS and Primary server has 1 CPU.
I have 2 G4 servers and would like to swap one of the physical CPU from Secondary and put it in the Primary G4 server.

My question is as long as the CPU speeds, Family , Model, Stepping and Revision version are the same - Will the CPU swap work on the other  server?

If yes/not what are the things that needed to be looked out for?

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
LouisH
Valued Contributor

It will work if both processors are the same  "SP" number. Also you will need to move some of the system fans from the 2 CPU system to the one you are upgrading. You should also double check that the system boards are the same.  When pulling fans from 2 CPU system, make a note of where the vacancies are on the 1CPU system. be sure to pull the Processor 2. Once you boot up the server you pulled the CPU out of, enter bios and disable second CPU, other wise it will continue to flag missing processor as an internal fault. Actually probably a good idea to do that before removing Processor. Check diagram on inside top cover for processor placement.

Boot up new dual Processor server and enter BIOS to check if both processors come up as available.

Regards,

Louis

LouisH
Valued Contributor

Almost forgot....what OS are you running? will it automatically adjust for multiple Processors?

Louis

br1anang
Occasional Advisor

The servers are running windows server 2003 standard server edition..

LouisH
Valued Contributor

You should be OK then......I think I remember a Processor baffle that is installed in the second Processor socket in the G4 series. If so, remember to move it into the vacant socket for airflow. Otherwise server WILL overheat.

Louis

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I would consider to shutdown both servers, swap all the disks and make the primary server the secondary and vice versa that way. Why not?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
br1anang
Occasional Advisor

Swapping of the disks could work. However I did that procedure before on a different server G3 to G4, and it did not work.
My question would be now after the swapping of the disk would the system boot up.

Thing is I am not physically doing this, just going to instruct someone else to do it. Making things more complicated.

LouisH
Valued Contributor

DUH!!!

I would go with Torsten's suggestion...

Just make sure disks are kept in original order when swapping for both servers...

Sorry, I was answering your question and not really grasping exactly what you wanted to accomplish.

Louis

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If the hardware is the same (same smart array controller) the disk swap works for sure.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
br1anang
Occasional Advisor

As for the CPU swap the voltage regulator located directly corrospndly with the CPU location?
When I opened up the server I saw that there were 2 PPMs. One on the left and one on the right.

I am assuming that CPU1 is using PPM on the left and CPU2 us using PPM on the right.

Any ideas?