ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748266 Members
3189 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can I recreate RAID 5 after deleting it from a RAID controller (ML350G6, P410i)?

SOLVED
Go to solution
AlexandreM
Occasional Contributor

Can I recreate RAID 5 after deleting it from a RAID controller (ML350G6, P410i)?

Hi all,

In short:

1. Server = ML350G6 with P410i and 1GB cache

2. Server had RAID 5 (5 x 300GB SAS).

3. Backed up the server

4. Removed the drives & deleted the RAID from the RAID controller

5. Created a new RAID 1 with 2 x 1.2 TB SAS re-using some of the slots that were in use by the RAID 5.

6. Restored the server ... except that the backup drive is faulty (Aaaargh)

7. Now I need to remove the RAID 1 & recreate the RAID 5.

How can I recreate such a RAID? I still have the 5 x 300GB HDD.

Do I just insert the drives and create the RAID 5 and the RAID controller will just find the drives and check the RAID or is there a trick to this???

Alexandre

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Can I recreate RAID 5 after deleting it from a RAID controller (ML350G6, P410i)?

If you removed the drives before doing anything, you should be able to recover. The RAID information is stored on the drives. If you still have the disks, put them back in the server (preferably in the order they were originally) and power the server on.  The controller should recognise the array and start the system.  If you don't know what slots they were in I think the P410 will see that the bay information has changed and update the configuration.  If not you can try running the array diagnostics utilty and let it adjust the configuration.

Do NOT reinsert the drives and reconfigure the array using ACU

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!